Is there anything I need post surgery to aid in healing?

I am getting a mommy makeover on the 22nd, is there anything I should purchase to help me heal or for any other reason? I see other women buying certain compression garments, something called arnica, and various other items to prepare. Is there something more I should be doing? I guess I should have asked my surgeon this but I assumed he would provide any needs like the garments.

Healing and Recovery Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Supplies needed following mommy makeover

Thank you for your question.  Your surgeon's office should be able to provide you with a list of necessary supplies to have on hand following your surgery.  Every practice is different.  My office provides the compression garment and we do not require our patients to purchase arnica.  Always follow the advice of your own surgeon since he/she is responsible for your care.

Best of luck

Post-op instructions

Thank you for your question.  I am sure that your surgeon has a post-op protocol that he has his patients follow after surgery.  Now would be a great time to give his office a call to determine what exactly you will need per his suggestion in order to ensure a speedy and healthy recovery.  What exactly you will need however is hard to advise given that most surgeons follow a protocol unique to himself or herself.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Post Surgery Healing

The most important aspect is to make sure that you are as healthy going into surgery as you can possibly be. Many plastic surgeons encourage some type of pre-surgical protocol for their patients (vitamins/supplements). Your surgeon will likely provide you with these recommedations before your procedure. Talk to your plastic surgeon before you start taking any type of supplement prior to your procedure, as some over the counter medicines have ingredients that can put you at risk for bleeding, bruising, or adverse interactions with other medicines. In most cases, taking a daily multivitamin to ensure that you heal optimally is reasonable. Supplements like bromelain and arnica have also been shown to assist with resolution of bruising and inflammation . Remember every case and person is somewhat different, so ask your board certified plastic surgeon directly for your post-op care instructions and be sure to follow their advice. Best wishes on your recovery

Al Cohn, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Products post op

Typically post-surgical garments are provided and the cost for these is built into your total fee.
Many surgeons recommend products such as Arnica pellets pre/post op and Silicone gel or sheeting for scar care later on.

I recommend that you call your Plastic Surgeon's office and find out what they recommend and what they provide.

Take care

Post Surgical Preparations

Congratulations on your upcoming mommy makeover.  First off, I would check with your doctor's office to confirm that they provide you with the necessary garments.  While most doctors do, you don't want any last minute surprises.  You will most likely be placed in a surgical bra and abdominal binder or girdle.  
Good things to buy ahead of time:  Frozen peas (for ice packs), plenty of prepared foods (or someone to cook for you), neosporin, gauze, stool softener or laxatives, baby wipes, and dry shampoo.  These are some of the little things you might need when you are unable to shower.   We encourage our patients to wait on shopping for bras and "Spanx" type girdles until after surgery.  You won't know how they will fit until later.  Good luck to you!

Larry Pollack, MD

Mommy makeover post-op

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about the compression garments that he would like you to wear after your surgery. You surgeons office should also provide yo with a list of tips and guidelines to help you post surgery.
Having a good support system around for a while after the surgery is also very important.

Francis X. Fleming, MD
Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover post-op necessities

Mommy Makeovers can mean many different combination of procedures. In general, if a breast augmentation and/or lift is done a post surgical bra is used, and this is usually provided by the surgeon. If a tummy-tuck is done, an abdominal binder is used, and this is usually provided by the surgeon. if liposuction is done, a compression garment is placed immediately following the operation. Again, the surgeon usually provides this. Please check with your surgeon to see how he handles this. Arnica is often used to help minimize bruising. It can be purchased by the patient over the counter at most nutrition and supplement stores or pharmacies. The benefit of this product is debatable by some.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Is there anything i need post surgery to aid in healing?

Contact your surgeons office. They know exactly what you are having done and what your chosen surgeons pre and post operative requirements are. Best wishes. Dean Vistnes.  

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

Every doctor is different about what he/she wants you to do regarding garments and Arnica Montana. So follow his/her advice. The best recommendation would be to eat nutritious foods and drink plenty of water up to and after your surgery. Best of Luck!

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician