Is my nose broken or just swollen? (Photo)

I hate a rhinoplasty one year ago, but, I was hit in the face pretty badly the other day. I bled a lot and now my nose is extremely swollen and looks crooked. It has some bruising but it doesn't feel broken it just feels bruised. Anyways does my nose look crooked because of the swelling or because it is broken? Thank you!

Nasal fracture in Beverly Hills

Hi and thanks for the question. Based on your history of recent trauma, combined with an associated nose bleed, a nasal fracture cannot be ruled out. To give you a better estimation I would need to examine you and review your pre-trauma photos. Either way, I recommend you seek evaluation by an expert sooner than later. If you did indeed experience a nasal fracture, a closed reduction may required to remedy the deviation - this must be done early in the post-trauma period though.

Dr. Vallecillos

Nasal Trauma

Based on the picture and your description of the events, I would say that you did, indeed, fracture your nose.  I recommend being evaluated by a specialist (your rhinoplasty surgeon, for example).

Good luck!

Clyde Mathison, MD
Knoxville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose

It this picture was taken within the first few days it's very difficult to determine if it's just soft tissue swelling or truly broken. What suggests you did break the nose is the fact you had bleeding and that if looks obviously crooked to you. I would recommend you see a doctor within the first 1-2 weeks to determine if you could simply have a closed reduction of the nasal bones. This may be enough to prevent and treat any deviation or crookedness of your nasal bones. 

Haena Kim, MD
Walnut Creek Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal trauma

If you got hit hard, bled, and now see a deviation, then you likely fractured your nose. Best to be evaluated in person. Good luck.

Possible nasal fracture

It is difficult to tell from the photo if your nose was broken during your recent trauma, or if this is temporary swelling.  Bleeding, swelling and a crooked appearance can often indicate a fracture occurred.  I recommend you visit with your plastic surgeon who can examine you in person and order imaging studies for further information. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Revision, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns about your Rhinoplasty with us.

After having analyzed all the info and photos provided to us, i recommend to perform a Secondary Rhinoplasty (not a tip revision) this means (basically) treat the nasal bones and the nasal cartilages.
Therefore i would perform a narrowing of the nasal base (nose osteotomy) and alar and triangular cartilage shaping.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD