Lump in labia minora? Can it be drained or cut out?

I have had a pea-sized lump in my left labia minora for 5-6 years. It is painless and feels like a sac that is squishy yet firm, but I have noticed it has gotten larger in the past year. It's more bean-shaped now. Since it causes no discomfort, I haven't been concerned about it, but I feel it could be awkward if a new sexual partner noticed it... It's makes me aesthetically self-conscious! If I go to the gyno can it be drained or cut out?

Lump Evaluation

Hello,I would at the very least show it to your gynecologist who can advise you are to what it might be and discuss potential removal.
Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Get it checked out first

I think your first course of action should have it checked out by a gynaecologist to make sure it’s not a medical issue. If it’s not an issue, you can then discuss with your gynaecologist to have it removed.

Labia minora - persistent lump

Thank you for asking about your labia minora lump.
  • The lump is probably a cyst.
  • You should see your gynecologist and have it removed.
  • If it is enlarging, it may get infected and then it hurts and drains pus -
  • So remove it before this happens.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lump in labia

Theses little bumps are quite common.  Some people seem to be more prone them than others.  They are  little cysts formed by sweat glands or sebaceous glands that get plugged and don't drain.   In general if they are small and not painful, most people leave them alone.   It you are bothered by it, see your gynecologist who can evaluate it and then offer you an option to excise or drain it depending on the consistency , size and location.Best wishes!

It can be done.

Thanks for your question.  This is most likely an inclusion cyst - these can occur anywhere on the body including the labia.  Inclusion cysts are quite common and can be treated or left alone, depending upon cosmetic concerns.  If it is definitely enlarging, then, I would encourage you see a doctor about it soon, as it could be something else.  If it has been stable for many years, then it is not absolutely necessary to have anything done about it and you can take your time.  The easiest way to treat this is to lance and drain it.  This is a relatively easy procedure that can be done in the office under local (numbing) anesthesia.  Your Gyn doctor should be able to do it.

Treatment of an "inclusion cyst" of the labia.

Not rare. It is called a "skin appendage, or inclusion cyst." "Skin appendage"s are sweat glands, sebaceous (oily stuff) glands, and hair or hair follicles. The glands can get plugged, resulting in the cyst. No big deal if it's not noticeably growing or bothering you. If so, visit your Gyno to be evaluated., Yes, it can be removed by someone who is trained in this and can do it in a mindful, aesthetic way (in-office, local anesthesia.)

Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Lump in labia minora? Can it be drained or cut out

Thank you for your question. Any soft tissue swelling in this area need to be evaluated by physician. Please consult with your OBGYN for evaluation. It can be excised if possible under local anesthesia.

If you have a new lump in your labia, get it checked. If it has indeed been there for 5-6 years, get it checked if it changes.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Lump in labia minora

these are very common and your OBGYN can define it and treat it if necessary. There are several types of cysts that form when secreting glands get clogged. These are more common on the larger lips but a thorough exam should lead to an answer and a treatment if you wish.

Thank you for your question. Nothing replaces an in-person examination or full series of photographs so I would recommend having the mass evaluated by your ob/gyn to help determine a diagnosis.  Once obtained the best treatment option can be recommended.  In most instances of a lump that is enlarging surgical treatment can be pursued.  Hope this helps.