How long to keep wearing my surgical bra post op and should it be as tight as possible? (photos)

I'm 1 week post op and wanted to know how long I need to wear my surgical bra and should I keep it as tight as possible? My doc tells me to keep it as tight as I can, but I find it really hard to breathe. Can I change out to a sports bra, will this help with drop and fluff?

If your bra feels like a boa constrictor

No scientific studies have ever been done to prove any correlation between postoperative bra wearing and results.  With that said, many surgeons feel strongly about the postoperative instructions they give patients and you should definitely give your surgeon feedback on your experience.   I think a sports bra that doesn't feel like a boa constrictor should be fine but discuss with your surgeon. 

Surgical bra after breast augmentation

I tell my patients that the necessity to stay in a tight bra depends on the type of implant that was placed. With smooth round saline or silicone gel implants I place a surgical bra on my patients in the operating room and we remove it the next day when I see them in the office. I change them to a sports bra, but for comfort only. It is not required to be tight. In addition, I start, with my patients, yoga pose arm raises and displacement exercises on post-op day #1 with smooth round saline or silicone gel implants. With textured round or shaped implants I leave my patients in a tight bra for six weeks post-op. Good luck with your recovery! Following your surgeons' specific post-operative instructions will be imperative to ensure that you obtain the most optimal result.

Compression following breast augmentation is usually unwarranted

If you are finding it hard to breathe, the bra you are wearing is much too tight, and post-operative swelling may be compounding the problem. Removing it should provide near instantaneous relief. I instruct my own patients to go braless for the first few days following breast augmentation, and I have found that wrapping the chest following surgery has no effect but to cause pain. This is part of the protocol for the Rapid Recovery technique for breast augmentation. Your surgeon knows you best, and you should follow his or her recommendations for post-operative management.

Post op bra

Every doctor has their own way of insuring your results.
Please discuss your concerns with them.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Post surgery compression bra

I tell my patients that they need to wear the post surgery compression bra 24 hours a day for one complete month. The bra can be removed when you take a shower or want to clean the bra. The compression bra is designed to support the implants and aid in the healing process. A sports should only be worn if the compression bra is being washed and another compression bra is no available. Your compression bra should have adjustment clips that you can adjust during the healing process. The bra should fit with comfortable compression. If it is hard to breathe, loosen the bra. It should be tight but not cutting off the circulation or making it hard to breathe. I wish you a good recovery!

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

One week

You have a fabulous result! Listen to your surgeon to help you reach the optimal result. If you think the bra is too tight, ask if you can try a larger one. Good luck and be well.

Kevin Maguire, MD
Vermont Plastic Surgeon

Wear your bra as prescribed.

Hello and thanks for your questions. Follow your surgeon's instructions on how long to wear the bra. Look at your paperwork from the office again. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Post breast augmentation.

You should follow your surgeons post operative instructions. He or she is your best resource at this time. Good luck. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon