Do I use a second IPL treatment for even tone? How soon can I get it done? (Photo)

I had IPL treatment approximately two weeks ago on my upper, lower arm and hands. IPL brown marks are now gone but left light slightly pink smooth skin. However, areas that were not treated with IPL now make me look striped like a zebra. The technician striped me instead of making the IPL marks uniformed.

Do I use a second IPL treatment for even tone? How soon can I get it done?

Thank you for your question. Your skin needs time to heal. The treatment was either too strong or post care was not given correctly. The treatment should have been even without patch marks. That is a result of a half done treatment. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for future treatment.

IPL and treatments and discoloration

IPL needs proper settings and sun avoidance.  I would not have another treatment for at least one month and then evaluate the skin.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of expertise in lasers. Fraxel and skin bleaches may be better for your skin type.  Best, Dr. Green

IPL and light chemical peels for arm discoloration

I would defer a second round at the moment. Use sunscreen, Melarase creams, and light chemical peels to even out your color now. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Striped after IPL treatment

What this actually shows me, besides having settings that are way too high, is that your technician did a pretty poor job of treatment as well, leaving large gaps in areas that are untreated and huge spacing between the pulses. When doing IPL you want a good overlapping technique so that you don't have things like this happen, as well as appropriate settings. I would definitely hold off for another treatment for at least a month or two. But I would also suggest you find a better office to treat you.... And wear sunscreen! Burning these areas will increase the likelihood that they will darken, remain, and look worse.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

IPL and Healing

This is still healing and needs sun protection.  I would avoid any treatments here for another 3-6 weeks.  Best, Dr. Emer.