Follow up question: I have a question about how much graft should I need and the price they quote me is overly charge? (photos)

I am 48 year old and I just have a consult for hair transplant yesterday. I think I have a class 3 bald, and they want to do 2200 grafts and charge me $9600 for it. I would like to know it that overly charge it and how many graf tdo I need. What is your advise or recommendation? Thank you

How many grafts will I need and what should be the cost

First, take a look at our gallery of 1000 patients who had hair transplants and find yourself on it (see below in web reference). Once you find yourself, the number of grafts will be listed for that particular patient. To find out the cost, check with the doctor or his fee per grafts. By example, if you found someone with your balding pattern that got 1000 grafts and the doctor charges $5/graft, then your estimated cost would be $5,000 for a procedure

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant cost

the cost per grafts depends on the technique used, the number of grafts, the experience of the doctor and the location. It differs from one doctor to the other. If you feel the price is too high you can contact different doctors and shop around. 
While cost may be a driving factor in your decision, you have to make sure you are getting quality care for your money spent. However, if the cost is the only factor, whatever you pay for a bad hair transplant is way too much.

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Herpes vs Big Foot

Every doctor has a different fee that they charge for surgery.
There are also different types of surgery (FUE, FUT) that has different fees associated with it.

The best advise is don't focus on the cost.
If you trust the doctor and believe that the doctor will provide great results, that is priceless.

A bad hair transplant surgery is like Herpes.  It's for life (no matter how much you spent)
A good hair transplant surgery is like Big Foot.  It's hairy and no one will believe it.  (no matter how much you spent)

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

How much does a hair transplant cost

If you have a strip procedure, you are removing the tissue from the back of the head using a scalpel.  Then the assistants chop the strip of tissue into tiny grafts and place them in the scalp.  The assistants do most of the work.  Therefore, you can find the price anywhere from $2.00 to $5.00 per graft.  

If you have FUE, the doctor usually cuts the grafts and does all the work.  The cost here may be $8.00 per graft or more.  Rarely, some plastic surgeons and other doctors will allow assistants to cut the grafts out of the back of you head and the cost for this will be less because the doctor is not doing the work.

I think for strip surgery, you were quoted high especially since this procedure leaves a potentially ugly strip scar on the back of you head.  If this is FUE and the doctor is doing the extractions, it is a very good deal.  

Of course, what you really need to focus on is quality.  It is more costly to have to do it right after you had done it wrong.  It is far better to do it right from the beginning.  Find a good physician and pay his price.  

You are a NW 3V and you are moving to a NW 5.  You may not be able to finish the back or crown or vertex of your scalp.  You should focus on the front for now.  I think you will make great improvement with 1500 to 1800 grafts.  You may not need 2200 at this time.  You have room for this much, but I don't know that it will be any better than 1500 to 1800 right now.

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Cost

You have a lot of variable that affect cost. 

-What you want filled in and how?
-FUT vs FUE?
-Neograft vs Artas?
-Is it a full time hair clinic or do they do other things like facelifts and breasts?

Its best to get 3 opinions in person.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist