I am 7 days post op and having pain underneath both breasts. Expected?

During the day, I've been taking 4 Advil every 4 hours. This seems to be helping. I've been icing at night only. Just when I feel like I'm doing well, the pain at night is really really bad. I even set alarms for Advil during the night so I don't go past the 4 hours. Is this expected? If so, when will that pain start subsiding. I have silicone gel, under muscle. I was sent home in a bra and still wearing that bra. Should I maybe switch to sports bra? Would that help?

Pain during BA recovery

Thank you for your question, and I wish you a speedy recovery, and I'm sorry to hear of your continued pain and discomfort. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon your specific concerns and what may be causing your discomfort. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time, but it is best to go see your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a checkup.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Pain under breasts

Pain and discomfort at 7 days post op is still expected.  The most common locations are under the breast or along the sides of the breast.  As time goes on the pain will continue to resolve.  Using ice packs and your medications is helpful.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon but be reassured that some discomfort can persist through the second week and even in the following month as it's improving there can be days of soreness or discomfort towards the end of your day.  The muscle takes a while to stretch and is the source of the majority of your discomfort.  It will certainly improve as time goes on.  In my practice I allow switching to a sports bra for support and comfort if the surgical bra is uncomfortable.  Hope this helps.  Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon