Why must I get a hernia in my belly button fixed before I have a tummy tuck?

Hernia and Tummy Tuck

It is possible to have both procedures done at the same time.  If you have a general surgeon repair the belly button hernia you should make sure he/she has done this previously in conjunction with a tummy tuck and is aware of the risk of blood supply issues.  When the muscles are tightened with the tummy tuck this will increase the pressure within your abdomen and could make the hernia worse so it is appropriate to have it repaired.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia and tummy tuck surgery.

Agree with care toward circulation of the belly button when reducing the hernia and exposing the skin to be removed during the tummy tuck.  Can be done at the same time. If costs are of concern, the repair of the umbilical hernia which takes time and expense, this can reduce the cost of the tummy tuck.  Most surgery is priced on a time basis in many centers. Need collaboration between the general surgeon and plastic surgeon if the surgeries are staged. Often a large curved scar is used for umbilical hernia repair and that can compromise the aesthetics of a well performed tummy tuck. I would combine the procedures and permit the plastic surgeon to modify his or her approach to fix the hole, and have the opportunity to adjust the size of the belly button and its scar placement.

Donn Hickman, MD

Tummy Tuck and Umbilical Hernia

Tummy tucks and umbilical hernia repairs are often performed at the same time.  If the hernia is larger there can be some risk of compromising the blood flow to the umbilicus which may be an indication to stage the procedures. Best of luck with our surgery.

All depends on the size of hernia

If you have a very large hernia it is better to get it fixed by a general surgeon with an intrabdominal mesh and then have a tummy tuck.  Small hernias can be fixed at time of tummy tuck. There is added risk to circulation of belly button with repair of umbilical hernia.  Belly button itself can die if its circulation is not adequate.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Umbilical hernia repair before tummy tuck?

While any plastic surgeon capable of doing a tummy tuck could repair an umbilical hernia at the time of a tummy tuck, here are two possible reasons for staging it: One, if it is large, then your surgeon may be concerned that blood circulation to the belly button could be compromised if done at the same time; two, if you are planning to bill your insurance for the hernia repair, it could be problematic when it is done as part of a cosmetic surgery procedure.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck and umbilical hernia

Thank you for your question. It is very common to have both done at the same time.  Good luck. 

Jon E. Rast, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

TT and UH repair

Unless there is something unusual about your umbilical hernia, it can be repaired at the time of your tummy tuck. Most plastic surgeons are trained to do this. Discuss having both the tummy tuck and umbilical hernia repaired at the same time with your surgeon.

There is no reason at all for that. If your plastic surgeon does not have the training to repair the hernia at the time he does the TT you need to find another plastic surgeon. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

These hernias are commonly repaired at the time of the tummy tuck unless you have a complicated recurrent hernia situation. Ask your plastic surgeon for his/her reason for recommending a two stage procedure.

Hernia repair and tummy tuck

Depending on the size of the hernia, umbilical hernias may be able to be repaired at the same time as the tummy tuck.  However, the general surgeon and plastic surgeon may have specific reasons to recommend performing the procedures separately.   Because a small loop of bowel can become trapped in the hernia, repair is always recommended. 

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon