Healing and visibility of scars after major gynecomastia surgery with nipple graft? (Photo)

i had what I consider to be major gynecomastia surgery last year, May 1st, 2014. The surgeon basically took off what equated to the size of my fist on each side, the shape of a football, and then did the free nipple replacement. I'm very happy with the results but I thought the scars would be healing better at a year after. So my anxiety is high. The whole purpose was to be able to take shirt off at the beach. Scars just invite questions. Will these get better or even fade away?

Scars from Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag Laser,   5fu/Kenalog for thick scars, or silicone sheeting.

Gynecomastia scarring

Your result looks very good. It sounds like you had a lot of tissue and skin removed. this leads to scars, your scars look to be healing nicely, but they won't disappear entirely. They should fade overtime, but will still be visible.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Male Breast Reduction - swelling

It takes 1-2 years for final scar appearance however there are some laser treatments that can speed the fading process.  The location of your scars is favorable though and I think over time this will become acceptable.  Best Wishes!!

Will Scars Improve?

Hi Travis,

Thanks for the post and the photo. Congratulations on your surgery and from the photo your results look very good. The fact that you had this type of gynecomastia surgery meant that you had skin excess and low positioned nipples. The scars are one of the trade-offs with this type of gynecomastia surgery but without them the contour would not have been nearly as good as what you have. Final results for scars can take up to 2 years.  Although no scar is invisible most do tend to fade even after the 1 year point. 

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD