How early before you have your BA should you quit smoking?

So I'm going for AB very soon how soon do you need to quit smoking. I am a smoker any advice?

Smoking and BA

Thanks for your question. Ideally, you'd like to wait as long as possible after stopping smoking to consider surgery of any kind. But, for a procedure like breast augmentation, I'd say you should aim for 4-6 weeks before and after surgery to get the best chances of a good outcome. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation and Smoking

This is a good question as smoking can definitely interfere with healing. Not all surgeons agree on the amount of time to quit before surgery, you should check with your surgeon. For my patients I require a minimum of two weeks before surgery and two weeks after, but four weeks would be better! Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  In our practice we advise our patients to quit smoking and using nicotine products a minimum of two weeks prior to surgery.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Nicotine and surgery

I also recommend at least 4 weeks of nicotine free prior to surgery and 4 weeks post op while you are healing. It's important to understand that any nicotine product will cause the decreased blood flow and inhibit your wound healing process. This includes cigarettes, electronic cig, cigars, nicotine patches and nicotine gum. It is important to understand exposure to second hand smoke can have the same effects as smoking itself so you want your smoking family member to smoke outside and avoid all contact with second hand smoke as possible 

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD 

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Stop Nicotine 4-6 Weeks Prior To Your Surgery

Hi blondie32,

To be on the safe side, you should stop all nicotine products at least a month prior to your surgery. Plastic surgery is unlike other surgeries because we are working on the edge of the blood supply, so to speak. Anything that decreases blood flow, especially nicotine, will interfere with healing. In addition, smokers require more anesthesia and pain medication. I am attaching my recent blog post for you which goes into more detail about why this is a concern.

David B. 

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Smoking before surgery

I recommend my patients quit ALL nicotine 4-6 weeks before surgery. Nicotine constricts blood vessels- constricted blood vessels make healing a lot harder because your wounds are not getting the correct amount of blood flow. I allow my patients to smoke an e-cig with ZERO nicotine liquid in them. Also, stay far far away from second hand smoke as well. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

When should you stop smoking before BAM?

I recommend my patients to stop smoking at least 4 weeks prior to having breast augmentation surgery.It is extremely important to avoid exposure to smoke either directly or indirectly because it can result in poor wound healing; delayed wound healing, skin loss necessitating skin grafting, increased risk in wound infection and loss of skin and deeper tissues.  Best of luck to you in your surgery and recovery!

Fred Hackney, MD

Smoking and Surgery

Great question regarding smoking.  Ideally a patient should not be smoking at all when considering surgery.  Patients that are being honest about their habit of smoking we encourage cessation for a  minimum of two week prior to surgery and minimum or two weeks after for a Breast Augmentation as the incision is very small and usually in the armpit.  Good luck on a healthy surgery.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

You should remain nicotine free for at least 6 weeks pre and post operatively because smoking can increase your risk of infection, necrosis, delayed healing etc. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and Surgery

Hello. Smoking impedes healing and gives you a higher risk of scarring. You need to stop as long in advance as possible and not smoke after surgery until you are fully healed. Good luck!

Janet Turkle, MD