What doctor accepts insurance in Kansas City?

My insurance will cover skin removal for a tummy tuck but it has to be done in a hospital. I'm having a hard time finding the doctors who do this in a hospital. HELP!!!

Tummy tuck and insurance company...

Thank you for the question. Insurance companies do not cover tummy tuck surgery.  However, sometimes insurance companies will cover excision of lower abdominal wall skin/apron; this operation is called a panniculectomy. It will be important for you to understand the differences between tummy tuck surgery and panniculectomy surgery and make sure you undergo the procedure that will achieve your desired outcome.
 In regards to selection of plastic surgeon, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.   Best wishes.

Insurance coverage

Your insurance will cover the removal of excess skin of the lower belly (panniculus) if it causes medical problems.  They would cover this in any Medicare approved surgery center.  Not all private surgery centers are Medicare approved.  All practicing plastic surgeons are required to have privileges at a hospital.  They may not, however, perform these procedures.  Also, it is unethical to bill insurance for a panniculectomy and complete a full abdominoplasty, which contours the whole belly and is a cosmetic procedure.  So, the surgeons may be hard to find because they are trying to follow the rules.

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon