Breast implant removal with delayed capsulotomy

Hi, I have 10 y/o 330 cc saline implants under the muscle. I believe one is leaking. I'm interested them removed, but I also want the capsule removed as well. Is it possible to get them removed under local in a plastic surgeons office and then get the capsulotomy at a later date along with a breast lift and possible fat transfer? I don't want to get this done now as I'm planning on having more children. Thanks so much!

Breast implant removal

Yes, it is definitely possible to stage your procedures. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to be examined in person and discuss. Best of luck.

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant removal

Yes, your plan to stage the procedures can be done.  Contact a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation.  Together you can create a surgical plan that's right for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast implant removal with delayed capsulectomy

Thank you for sharing your excellent question. It is possible to stage your desired procedures and your plan is reasonable. I would be sure that your surrounding implant capsule has not calcified or hardened in the interim, however, as this would leave your breast with a firm feel if not removed at the same time as your implant removal.  Hope this helps.

YES but are you sure you want to do this

Yes you can have this done and other options. I capsulectomy, especially a very thorough one is NOT comfortable under a local anesthesia. If done completely it is time consuming and can hurt. You can have a capsulectomy later or not at all. It is not harmful to leave in place but it often leaves a "pocket" if it is not removed or roughened. This is usually harmless. ALSO remember it is very hard to get fat grafting to give you the same as 330cc implant size later. I see many patients unhappy with results of FG, just FYI.

James Romano, MD

Breast implant removal

Yes that can be done.  The fat grafting procedure is best done with a capsule in place if there are associated issues.

Your plan seems reasonable. Often, in the field of plastic surgery, there are many different ways to approach a patient's concerns;  is usually best to individualize the plan depending on many factors, including the patient's unique life circumstances (such as planned pregnancies…).

My best advice: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she has significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Then, communicate your goals carefully, as discussed above. Working together you will come up with a good plan to achieve your goals. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more.  Best wishes. 

It is possible to do these procedures delayed.  After you have healed you may not need any reconstruction.  The capsule will be absorbed overtime and should not cause any concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Staged operations?

Yes, it is possible to remove the breast implants first under local anesthesia, but you will have to have a drain placed for a few days to allow the old pocket to collapse. You can also just deflate the implants in the office by suctioning out the saline. No drain is required. About 6 to 8 weeks later you can see if the skin has shrunk enough to avoid a breast lift or not.

Later on you can have the second surgery safely.

Best wishes, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD