What size of implant for surgery tomorrow will give me the best results?

I've always had a small chest except for while pregnant and breastfeeding. After 3 kids they look deflated. I would like to stay on the smaller side still as I am 5"3 115 and DO NOT want them making me look heavy in a Tshirt/sweatshirt... My dr suggested 400-450 cc gel sub glandular implant to help fill in the fullness on top I'm starting to question if I should go with 385-400? Thoughts? We are also doing a tummy tuck/flank lipo at the same time. Thanks !

BA sizes

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information as well. 

The thing about size is...
Did You Know? Implant size (measured by cubic centimeters, or “cc”) only matters as far as it will help you get the look you want. In these photos, can you guess who has the larger sized implants?

What limits how big you should go?

1. Your current breast size. This matters because you’ve got to have enough existing breast tissue to cover the implant. If you haven’t got a lot to spare, some implants may just be too big to fit.
2. Your chest and shoulder width. Fortunately, implants come in different base widths so you can get a size that works well with your frame.

I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals. 

Correct size for breast implants

There is no way to answer that question with a picture. In my office we try to pick the correct diameter before we discuss implant size. Then we try some implants on. I'm sure you will be happy with your surgery, and if there is a complaint after breast augmentation it is, 'If I had to do it over I would go a little bigger'.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Implant size

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Implant size selection

Choosing an implant size is an important decision which is best made in concert with your surgeon. Ultimately, options are based on a number of factors including:

-Chest dimensions

-Tissue quality

-Patient desire

Often times, a surgeon can guide a patient toward a size/cc range and patients will make determinations on implant style/profile.

There are a number of tools available to help guide patient/surgeon decision making including sizers, 3D imaging and goal photos.

Ultimately, it is important to mot marry oneself to a particular "cc" as oppose to a particular "look." The differences you are considering are minor and unlikely to be significantly noticeable (25cc equates to a few tablespoons).

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Kissimmee Plastic Surgeon

Size of implant

Choosing an implant size is a very independent decision. First make sure you have tried on sizers to see what you think gives you the look you were hoping for then when you narrow it down to a few my suggestion would be to go with the largest of the ones you are ok with. This is because the most common complaint is patients always wishing they had gone bigger. In my experience (and I perform over a thousand a year) when a patient changes their mind to a smaller one the day of surgery they almost always wake up in recovery regretting it and thinking their too small. Pick your desired size and if the doctor thinks he can make that size work then trust him. Good luck.

William J. Hedden, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery.  

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "smaller side" or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.