I have Factor V (Hetero - so just one gene). Where's the best place to inject Lovenox post mommy makeover surgery? (Photos)

I do not have a personal history with DVTs, PEs or clots but have a very strong family history. I will be taking Lovenox post surgery for 3 wks. I am having a tummy tuck & breast augmentation (& some lipo of hips/flanks) & I am wondering if my abdomen is the best place for injections? My Hematologist's nurse said it would be fine to inject there but I am wondering if there might be other places that could work. Likely I will be tender and I am not sure how much skin will be available to pinch.

Lovenox injection site options

You definitely do not want to inject into any area that was part of the surgical field. Discuss this with your PS, usually the thigh is accessible to you and will be a better absorption area for effective treatment.

Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Mommy make-over - where to inject Lovenox

Thank you for asking about your Lovenox.
  • You are right to question the hematology nurse - 
  • Please don't inject in the abdomen. It could damage your surgery and absorption might be poor.
  • You should be able to inject it in the hip or thigh -
  • Have your plastic surgeon or the hematologist tell you where.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Your thigh

You need to avoid injecting Lovenox into your abdominal skin after surgery to avoid complications and poor absorption. Your thigh is a great area to inject it!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Best place for Lovenox after a MM?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  I would recommend speaking with your plastic surgeon and hematologist as to the best site for injection - hip, thigh, buttock - that minimizes your risk of DVT while avoiding complications from placement into areas operated upon.

Lovenox injection

Thanks for your inquiry. For my patients who need Lovenox and have had abdominal surgery, they give the Lovenox injection in the thigh.  If someone else is giving it to you, the buttock could be a choice--please ask your surgeon his/her preference.  

Site of lovenox injection

Great question.  You will want to ask your plastic surgeon this question since everyone has their own preference. I suspect he/she will tell you to inject into the thigh but like I stated above, everyone will have his/her own preference.
Good luck with the recovery.
Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD