Is 450cc Too Big for a Person 5'0? (photo)

After consulting with my dr. We decided on a 450cc high profile saline implant done through the belly button. I am 5'0" and 125lbs starting at a 34A. I don't mind a little bit of the fake look but do not want to be too disproportionate. Is this an appropriate size?

Is 450cc Too Big for a Person 5'0?

450 cc saline HP implants may work well for you.  The Mentor HP products have a more narrow base diameter than Allergan, which may make a difference in your case.  If the implant fits your chest wall measurements you will be fine.  As far as overall size, you should make that decision based upon placing sizers in the office.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Implant Size

It looks like you will likely get a great result from breast augmentation. I think you would benefit from a breast augmentation with a dual plane technique. In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Is 450cc too big for you?

There are several variables in determining implant size.  When recommending implant size for my patients, I consider the followings: 1) patients' anatomy (height, weight, chest width, chest height, amount of breast tissue) and 2) patients' desired look/goal.  Without knowing your chest measurement and breast tissue amount, I cannot give you any recommendation.  You should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon who will examine you.  Try implant sizers to get a rough estimate of the size you may want.  As you know, bra/cup size will vary depending on the brand.  Good luck with you.
Dr. Sugene Kim

Trans umbilical breast augmentation

I think the size might be a little on the larger side for you but I don't think it will disproportionate. I do recommend a circumareolar or inframammary approach rather than the TUBA (trans umbilical breast augmentation). This will allow you to place a silicon implant rather than a saline one and also the retromuscular (under the muscle) position will likely be better for you as you look rather slim.  Best to you!

Will 450 cc's fit on your 5' frame?

I hope you had a chance to VISUALIZE what you are considering using approximately 400 cc sizers in your bra (I upsize to give you a result that looks like what you see with the sizer in your bra).  This way you can see what you will look like in your clothing and to better appreciate if it will fit on your body.  Anything other than that is a subjective judgement call.

Curtis Wong, MD

Way too big and TUBA is bad choice

Thanks for your question and photo. Given your measurements and looking at your photo, I think that size implant is way too large. Your base diameter can't be more than 12 or 12.5cm. I think somewhere around 350 in the Moderate Plus profile would be about as big as would fit on your chest. I don't like the HP because of the tendency to cause rib cage pressure and compression of the breast tissue. Finally, the TUBA is notorious for having problems. I don't ever place saline implants anymore. They don't look or feel as natural and have a higher rate of reoperation. Best of Luck with whatever you choose!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Don't do it!!

450 mL high profile implants in your body may be doable but would likely produce a very large, "stripper" result. I also would not do saline implants since they have a very high risk of leak and rippling. The peri umbilical "TUBA” technique requires positioning the implants over the pectoralis muscle which is the worst of all possible situations as far as rippling and capsular contracture. Don't do it!! You will be sorry.
In my opinion, Silicone implants under the muscle produce the best results. The TUBA procedure is not recommended. I would seek a 2nd consultation with a surgeon who is board certified in plastic surgery and who is a member of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (ASAPS).
I would also make sure your surgeon has a large number of pre-and postoperative photographs that he/she can show you and has a list of satisfied patients who will talk to you about their results.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Large volume breast augmentation

450cc is a big augmentation for someone of your size. They would definitely look fake.  This may be the look you are after but you should consider the long-term results of such a large augmentation.  The skin will stretch / sag considerably and the large implants are more likely to migrate. Smaller implants will look better for longer.

I don't think that the belly button is the best approach.  It is hard to accurately position the implants.  I would recommend a periareolar or inframammary fold incision.

Good luck!

Simon Overstall, MBBS, FRACS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Is 450cc to Big?

Everything is relative, but 450cc on you is a large implant, but something that could be done but not recommended, BUT I would NOT recommend a belly button approach (TUBA) because most doctors that perform this procedure place a saline implant above the muscle, a 450cc Saline implant above your muscle would be a BIG mistake, you would develope rippling and dostortion of the implant quite early and that is a tremendous weight to place on breast tissue alone, I would seek an aditional consultation from a BC PS.Good luck

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

What size breast implants?

Without knowing the base width and elasticity of your skin envelope, it would be hard to answer your question.  I don't think the transumbilical approach would be good for you with such a large implant because the implant will sit too high and cause your nipples to point downward.  Also, the HP's (especially over 350cc) have a high incidence of causing rib indentations and bottoming out in the long run.  Stuffing an overly large implant into a limited breast pocket is a recipe for disaster that sometimes cannot be corrected.