Should anti-inflammatory supplements and teas be stopped before Coolsculpting?

I have an autoimmune disorder and as part of my natural treatment, I supplement my highly anti -inflammatory diet with supplements and detox baths that promote circulation and stimulate the lymphatic system. Example: Ginger, Epsom salt soaks, castor oil, essential oils, teas that include fennel, dandelion and fenugreek, arnica etc. I've read these should be stopped before surgeries to minimize bruising. Should they be stopped before coolsculpting as well? And for how long before?

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
I would recommend stopping any medications that can increase bruising 
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Discontinuing Supplements before Coolsculpting

It is always a good idea to avoid aspirin, motrin, vitamin E, coumadin, fish oil, anticoagulants, or any other oral supplements that can cause bruising for one week before coolsculpting.  The pressure of some of the applicators combined with the suction can cause bruising in the area.

Medication to stop prior

In order to mimimize potential bruising, avoid the following products 7 days prior to treatment and for up to 7 days after treatment: Alcohol, Aspirin, Vitamin E, anticoagulants such as Plavix, Coumadin, Fish Oil, St. John's Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, Ginger, Garlic, Feverfew or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory products such as Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) or Naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn). If bruising is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Stopping supplements before Cooslculpting

If you find that you bruise easily on these supplements or if you are wanting to minimize the chance of bruising, then I would stop the supplements.   If you decide that you would like to continue them, then I would recommend that you tell your provider and they lower the suction settings to balance the amount of tissue pull into the applicator (which is important to get good results) and with the degree of suction (which is adjustable).

Pre-coolsculpting protocol

There is no pre-Coolsculpting protocol that calls for stopping any of the above.  But check with your Coolsculpting and primary care doctors to be on the safe side.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD