Am I a good candidate for tummy tuck? (Photos)

I'm interested in a tummy tuck with lipo I'm 5'6 250 pounds most of my weight is in my butt and thighs

Candidate for Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question.   I can understand your concerns about your abdomen, however the risk of surgery may be too high at your current weight.   With a BMI of greater than 30, you are at a much higher risk of infection, wound healing complications, and overall anesthesia complications.    I would recommend meeting with your plastic surgeon to develop a weight loss plan and referral to a specialist, to help you meet your goals.   Your result will be much better and your surgery much safer with a moderate amount of weight loss.   I wish you a happy and successful weight loss journey and amazing surgical result!!

Are you a good candidate for a TT?

Far more important than deciding if TT is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Am I a good candidate for tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question and picture. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation (best chance to achieve an optimal aesthetic outcome), and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. 

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. 

As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.

Am I a good candidate for tummy tuck?

Thank you for your photos. It is a pleasure to answer your question. I would encourage you to lose weight before considering getting a surgical procedure done. You will get a much better result if you can get as close to your ideal weight prior to your cosmetic surgery. Neither procedure should be considered a weight loss tool. As physician, my first priority is keeping my patients safe and not perform surgery that could be risky. Hope this helps. Good luck. 

Carlos Recio, MD
Cali Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for tummy tuck?

You are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty procedure but at your current state it is advisable to first lose weight as having an operation at your current BMI will increase health risks. It is better to have a BMI of less than 30, which is the standard set for an abdominoplasty procedure, to ensure your safety and assure your normal recovery period.

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate? Weight loss first

Thank you for your question and photos.  I believe it is best to be within 10 - 15 pounds of your ideal body weight prior to surgery for optimal results. Your BMI should be below 30 to minimize your risk of complications. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring for an in-person examination. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures of their work to understand what can be achieved. Hope this helps and good luck.