Can Botox be used to correct my asymmetrical brows or would surgery be required for eyelid ptosis? (Photo)

As you can see my left eyebrow (right in the picture) is much higher than the other, and my eyelid on that side shows more too. I'e heard that this is due to the brow trying to correct for eyelid ptsosis. I was curious if just Botox could correct this problem or if surgery would be required. And if so, how much would such a thing cost?

Can Botox be used to correct my asymmetrical brows or would surgery be required for eyelid ptosis?

If you are complaining about your dropped eyebrows and you think that you will look better if your eyebrows are located higher, then you are a good candidate for eyebrow lifting operation. However only eyebrow lifting operation does not always help. You may get benefit from forehead lifting and fat transfer to forehead area if you have severe problems in your forehead area.

Botox balancing for eyebrow expression

Thanks for your photos.  Yes, Botox may be very effective to correct your brow and upper lid fold symmetry, and one session would be less than $275.  But if your elevated brow expression is trying to correct for functional eyelid ptosis, there may be a need to have this evaluated further.  If this is the case, correction of the eyelid ptosis is a better solution that may resolve all of the above.  Consult with a plastic surgeon or ophthalmologist with experience in these matters.

Brow asymmetry and botox

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on your photograph, I do feel like Botox can be used to help correct your brow asymmetry. You do not have much of an eyelid ptosis. At this point you should be fine with Botox.

Options for Brow asymmetry

Dear teenreb:

Asymmetry of the face, body and extremities is normal. When it becomes abnormal, you may consider Botox or surgery following consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or ENT Face Surgeon. 

Botox will relax the muscles which pull the eyebrow down and allow the forehead muscle to pull it up. The ability for Botox to do its job is dependent on:
  1. proper adherence of the forehead skin to the forehead muscle
  2. talent and skill of your injector to understand the balance of muscles require to lift or drop the brow asymmetry

You appear too young for surgery particularly with this minor amount of asymmetry. 
Please consult with a well experienced injector! All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox and asymmetrical eyebrows

Yes, Botox can be used to make the eyebrows more symmetrical, but let me also caution you about shopping for the cheapest treatment.  See a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is skilled in the use of the material. It will probably be less than $500

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Asymmetry and Botox

I have corrected a great deal of patients who are asymmetric with Botox.  Be certain to consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of expertise with these cosmetic injections.

Botox not a good idea

Botox would help your brow but also drop your eyelid. Not the wisest move imo. Eyelid surgery costs from 2 to 4 thousand 

Chris Thiagarajah, MD
Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Did you know that Botox can be used to improve asymmetric eyebrow positions??

Hello teenreb,
Thanks for your question.
Actually, yes, Botox can be used to decrease the asymmetry of your eyebrows.
I usually put 2.5 units in that area to create a pleasing peak on the outer 1/3 of the eyebrow.
You could have something similar performed on the lower eyebrow to see how much height you can obtain.
If you try to inject the higher brow to lower it, the lift that may be helping your eyelid position stay up might disappear causing that lid to droop.  In that case you could use the botox to lower the higher eyebrow and then get evaluated for ptosis repair.
Find a reputable Botox injector in your area to have this performed.  If you don't like it, the effect will be gone typically in 3 months so nothing to worry about.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Good Morning and Thank you for your question.  The best thing about Botox is that it's minimally invasive (small injections) and not permanent.  So there certainly would be nothing lost to try a little Botox to achieve better brow symmetry.

A small amount to bring down the higher brow and relax it could give you the result you're looking for and would good to try before considering a surgical option as Botox injections to not leave scarring behind like surgery would. 

Always be sure to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist when talking about Botox and best of luck!

Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon