Compared to other fillers, what are the pros and cons of Juvederm?

Which is the fastest when it comes to seeing results of Juvederm and other comparable fillers?

Comparing Juvederm to other fillers

Juvederm is a terrific filler that has been used safely and effectively by countless physicians and in millions of patients over many years across the globe. What's nice about this hyaluronic acid is that it has a nice soft consistency which is particularly great for the lips, and has a nice natural feel to it. Also, if you had a problem (e.g. too  much was put in), then there is an antidote "hyaluronidase" that can dissolve any excess.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm or another filler...?

Juvederm is a great filler, but there are other procedures that can be done.  Radiesse is another injectable that is used to fill in the Nasolabial folds that typically lasts about 12 months, while Juvederm lasts about 8 months.  Fat harvest and injection, using your own fat, may give a more permanent result.  All of the procedures will give you immediate results.  Contact your facial plastic surgeon to discuss these options with him.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm filler benefits

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler.  Restylane and Perlane are also hyaluronic acid fillers.  Some benefits to using Juvederm vs. other fillers is that it is a clear gel, looks very natural in the lips and for wrinkle correction, contains lidocaine for patient comfort and has good longevity (up to 12 months).  Other fillers, such as Radiesse, may last a bit longer and work well for adding volume to areas such as the jawline or cheekbones. 

Boris Volshteyn, MD, MS
East Brunswick Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Restylane are safe hyaluronic acid filler substances

They can be used for a variety of areas of the face for immediate line filling or volume replacement.  Because they are made of a natural substance that is already found in the skin, there are no allergic reactions with the medications.  They give a natural look, unless too much product is placed in the skin.  If that happens to you, it can be dissolved in 24 hours with a simple injection of hyaluronidase.  Make sure to find a board certified physician injector who has alot of experience with Juvederm and Restylane to achieve the look you want.  Best to you.

Carolyn Jacob, MD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Pros and Cons of Juvederm

In my opinion, Juvederm is the best filler for correcting lips. In this location it is second to none. For any other areas of the face, I prefer the other fillers for various reasons. In the lips, Juvederm can be used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. Juvederm can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. 

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Timing-juvederm vs. others

To answer which works the most quickly-Juvederm, Restylane, Radiesse and Perlane will give you immediate results that you can see at the time of your office visit. Sculptra is the only filler(volume enhancer) that takes time to see the final results. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Juvederm is a very good filler, but not the only one

As previously noted, Juvederm is a particular brand of Hyaluronic acid filler which works especially well in the lips.  Since it is hydrophilic, water is drawn into the site of injection lading to a full, even look.  It is my feeling that Juvederm and Restylane (another form of Hyaluronic acid filler) can be used fairly interchangeably.  Although Hyaluronic acid fillers can be used for the Nasolabial folds, it is my preference to use a Radiesse, a calcium hydroxylapatite filler because it is firmer and lasts for about a year in this region.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Depends on area you want treated

Juvederm is one brand of hyaluronic acid dermal filler, it really depends on which area you want treated to which brand is the best choice.  Other options would be Restylane, Sculptra, Radiesse, Perlane and more.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Juvederm

Juvederm, a Hyaluronic acid, or sugar molecule is a very popular filler. Depending on where it is placed it will last about six months or so, which patients find to be a drawback as they would like something longer lasting. Excess volume injection, or misplacement can be treated by dissolving it, which is a plus tha many other fillers do not have. It can also be used in different regions of the face, a limit that other fillers have, such as Radiesse for lip augmentation. It also has a very good safety profile.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvéderm® vs other fillers

I prefer Juvéderm® over other HA fillers because:

1. Juvéderm® is made by Allergan, which in my experience has the highest technical standards, the greatest resources, and the highest integrity of all the companies in the aesthetic space. These things matter a lot, because it is vital to use BTX-A and fillers which are made by a company which has the resources to maintain product quality, and to deal quickly and effectively with problems if they arise.

2. Because Juvéderm® is a cohesive, homogenous HA filler, it tends to stick together when injected, and so stays where it is placed, instead of flowing the way a slurry [Restylane® & Perlane®] and following the path of least resistance. This cohesive, homogenous property contributes to the long duration of cosmetic benefit after treatment with Juvéderm®, compared with Restylane®. [I have used several thousand syringes of both products over the past ten years].

3. Because Juvéderm® is a cohesive, homogenous HA filler there is much less surface area than the cumulative surface area of thousands of tiny particles of HA in Restylane® or Perlane®. The smaller surface area of Juvéderm® for a give amount of volume [the "surface area to volume ratio"] means that it is harder for hyaluronidase and free radicals produced in the skin to degrade Juvéderm®, contribting to the long duration of cosmetic benefit after treatment with Juvéderm®, compared with Restylane®.

4. In the unlikely event that the HA filler is accidentally injected into a blood vessel, because Juvéderm® is a cohesive, homogenous gel it will most likely simply sit in the vessel, and not travel up or down the vessel, causing additional damage or risk to organs like the eye. Because Restylane® is a slurry of tiny particles, it is more likely to flow along inside a vessel, spreading away from the injection site and causing additional damage.

5. I prefer Juvéderm® over other long-lasting-but-not-permanent fillers like Radiesse® or Sculptra because if there is a problem with Juvéderm® it can be quickly and easily reversed by injection of hyaluronidase. If there is a problem with non-HA fillers like Radiesse® or Sculptra, there is no quick easy way to correct the problem.

Kevin C. Smith, MD
Niagara Falls Dermatologic Surgeon