Swelling After Juvederm Lip Augmentation

How long does lip augmentation (with Juvederm) swelling typically last? How can I tell if it's swelling or Juvederm? Thank you.

Swelling after Juvederm Lip Augmentation

Most swelling settles down within a week or two. See your injector if swelling lasts longer than that.

In the meantime, you can use cool packs to ease the swelling, placing them on your lips or 15 minute stretches 3-4 times a day. (your lips may be numb at the moment and doing short stretches with the ice pack minimizes the risk of frostbite).

Swelling after Juvederm in the lips

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day. This is due to all the swelling that ensues. It may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have.  I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that. If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture. This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.

All depends what you mean by swelling...if it's your entire lip, then

that's very common and it usually last anywhere from several days to several weeks depending on the individual...but if you're referring to a localized lump...it usually is too much filler in a localized area and that will require either vigorous pressure to move it around or more rarely an injection of hyaluronidase to dissolve it...without treatment this problem can last a long time...months or more...and a final issue could be swelling due to bleeding under the surface of the skin...a warm compress combined with arnica assists in resolving this problem...

Ken Landow, MD

Swelling after injection lip augmentation

Swelling and occasional bruising to a varying degree is expected. Most of the swelling is resolved within 3 weeks .

Here are some tips to make it go away faster -
Minimizing Lip Swelling after Lip Augmentation - sounds like you are doing much of the below recommendations
Continued head elevation - sleep in recliner chair for up to the first week
Icing - not directly on skin, 20 min on then 20 min off if comfortable for the first 3 days
Low Salt diet
No heavy lifting, bending over or intense exercise                                                             Bromelain and/or Arnica                                                                                                   Camouflage make up/ lipstick

Swelling is typically for a few days, and generally no longer than 2 weeks. If swelling is considerable after one week, contact your injector, If swelling persists longer than two weeks, than a blood clot or hematoma may have formed.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Swelling after Juvederm lip augmentation

Swelling after Juvederm injections should resolve by 10-14 days. Any appearance of swelling at 2 weeks is probably Juvederm itself. Persistent swelling (lasting longer than 2 weeks) associated with a lump may represent a blood clot or hematoma which can take several weeks to resolve. Hope this helps.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist