I Had Juvederm Injections and Now my Lip is Distorted?

I had juvederm injected into my lips about 18months ago, and a year before that i had restylane injected into them. However, about 6 months ago i noticed that when i smile, my top lip isnt a steady line, its almost 'wavey' in shape. The top lip feels a tiny bit lumpy and im not entirely sure why its still like this 18 months on. is this normal?

Doctor Answers 7

Distorted Lip after Juvederm 18 months ago?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You may have some lumps and bumps in your lips from product that was injected unevenly. You may want to have some Vitrase injected to dissolve the uneven spots and then you can start over fresh if you desire. Juvederm is a great product but it has to be injected evenly to have a nice outcome.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

Juvederm Injections to Lips

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


While it would be uncommon to have Juvederm or Restylane still present in the injection site at this time you may have developed some scar tissue or swelling around the area of injection which has produced this result. A consultation with an experienced injector will probably answer those questions upon a direct examination. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

Juvederm and Restylane filler for lips

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You should be assessed by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can determine if the problem is filler or if something else is happening.  If some Juvederm or Restylane is still left, it can be dissolved or if you would like lip enhancement, more filler can be added.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

You might also like...

I Had Juvederm Injections and Now my Lip is Distorted?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It would be very unusual to have any remaining filler 18 months after a lip injection. However, it is possible. Your best bet would be to seek out an experienced injector for an in-person consultation. Your options include hyaluronidase treatments to dissolve any remaining product and improve your lip contour or a small amount of additional filler to provide better symmetry and lip shape. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Restylane and Juvederm Lip Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Restylane and Juvederm are both hyaluronic acids or HA’s.  HA’s will be resorbed by this time and any distortion may have been present before as well as the lump.  Alternatively they could be something new and unrelated to the filler.  You should see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist to be evaluated.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 64 reviews

It is difficult to tell what is going on with your Restylane and Juvaderm treatment.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend that you seek consultation with a well-respected cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon for ideas on how best to treat your lips.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Lip distortion from fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Well, this is a long time for fillers to last, but they can last longer in the lips. Your best idea is going to be to go in and see a physician. Usually it's pretty easy for me to evaluate a patient in person and determine if there is filler left in there, or if something else is going on. If there is filler there, or maybe some pockets of various filler left, those can be dissolved with a very small amount of hyaluronidase. But an in-person consultation is going to be your best bet to determine what's going on.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.