Juvaderm: My Lips Are Swollen and Look Horrible. Is 0.8 Cc Too Much?

I just had my lips done Monday at 5pm and it is now one full day later (Tuesday at 6pm). The doctor put 0.8 into my lips. It looks horrible. It looks all puffy and bruised". I was mortified and called into work today. How can I resolve this? I spoke to the doctor that did it and he keeps saying it will go down. I am wondering if 0.8 is considered a large amount. Is this going to get better? Is this what my lips will look like for the next five months?

Swelling and bruising after lip injection is common

Your concern is understandable, but hang in there. The amount injected is a common amount, and swelling and bruising are common side effects after lip injections, especially within the first 24 to 48 hours. They will subside. Knowing how to reduce bruising and swelling prior to your next injection may help avoid them altogether. You can minimize bruising by not consuming certain ingredients that cause bruising such as green tea, ginger, and over-the-counter supplements like Omega‑3 pills. Icing the lips immediately after injections and repeated sessions of icing on the lips for the first 24 hours can help relieve symptoms quicker. Elevated sleeping the first night is recommended to reduce any swelling in the face and lips. 

The lips take about 2 weeks to settle with the new product in them. Be patient with your results, because the rate at which people heal and recover varies.

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm lip swelling

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day. This is due to all the swelling that ensues. It may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have. I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that. If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture. This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.  Also, the amount of Juvederm you had placed is within the normal treatment range.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Sounds like your doctor may not have explained the whole process to you before treatment...

especially with the lips, it's very important to understand going into the procedure that the area will go through a process of evolution over the first week or so with the first 2 days being the most anxiety provoking...after treatment with lips swell and often bruise which may last up to a week or so...after that most people are delighted with the results...assuming you saw a reputable physician with experience in treating the lips...the amount is relatively small for someone who needed correction...I like to use one syringe and wait for two weeks and see if another one is needed...it often is...if there's any question, of course go back and see your doctor...and rest assured the problem areas will not last long...good luck

Ken Landow, MD

Lip swelling after fillers

Juvederm, like all hyaluronic acid fillers (e.g Restylane, Perlane, Teosyal), can cause swelling after injection, especially if the lips are treated. Give it 1 week to settle down ; if at that point you're unhappy, you can have your physician inject you with hyaluronidase to dissolve some of the Juvederm. Relax, this will no doubt settle down for you. Sleep on extra pillows, avoid aspirin/advil, and avoid sauna/steamroom for the next 2 weeks.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Lip swelling after Juvederm

0.8cc is a common volume to place in the lips, but you can expect significant swelling in the first week, which can take a full 2 weeks to resolve. Listen to you doctor and give it time to resolve.  If after two weeks it hasn't improved, return for a reassessment.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Can take a week for swelling to subside completely following lip filler

As the others have said, give it time.  But, while you are waiting, do ice the site frequently to minimize the swelling, stay away from activities that will make it more likely to stay swollen (hot tubs, saunas, aerobic exercise), and do not manipulate the injection site (as the material can move if too much pressure is applied).  In my experience, most of the swelling will subside in a few days but some patients may require a week to ten days for all of the swelling to go away.  If still a concern, there is a reversal injection that can get rid of the filler, if need be, called hyaluronidase. 

Laurie Jacobson, MD
Seattle Dermatologist

Bumps after Juvederm lip injection

I dont think 0.8 cc is too much for lips. the swelling, bruising, pain, tenderness will subside in a few days. its a very common side effect. I would wait it out and seek your physician in 2 weeks

Misbah Khan MD, FAAD, FACMS

Swollen lips from Juvederm injections

The typical side effects associated with hyaluronic acid injections such as Juvederm into the lips include bruising, redness, swelling and pain. These occur in as high as 90% of patients and usually resolve within one week. It is possible that some of these side effects may be affected by the injection techniques such as fan like injections, higher injection volumes, and more rapid injection times. I always recommend waiting at least one to two weeks for the swelling to go down after the treatment before worrying about any long-term adverse effects or considering any "touch-up" treatments such as additional filler injections or reversing the treatment using hyaluronidase.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Bumps and lines after Fillers

Patience is the name of the game. 24 hours is much too soon to worry. You should trust your physician to help you though this. If lumps or bumps persist, there is still not much to worry about, because they can be helped.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Swelling from Juvederm in Lips after One Day

Swelling and Bruising are common side effects from Juvederm injections into the lips.  Usually the material swells more in the first 24 hours after injection then begins to subside.  The bruising will also subside in a few days.  It is far too early to evaluate your treatment one day out.  If your problem persists for more than a few days, please return to your injector to be evaluated.  Juvederm can be dissolved with Hyaluronidase if need be.  0.8cc is just one syringe.  This is a very acceptable amount of material.  

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist