Neck Lift (10 days post op). Will massaging help? What else can I do to reduce hardness? (Photo)

Very tight with hard vertical bands from chin to collar, especially in front along windpipe. Very tender. Will massage help or what else can I do to reduce hardness?

Post neck lift firmness

Firmness at only 10 days out is not uncommon. While massaging may help, the only person who can clear that for you is your surgeon. Only he/she knows what exactly he/she did during the procedure and whether or not he/she feels massage at this early juncture is appropriate. Most likely it should be fine, but a call to your plastic surgeon's office is warranted.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lift (10 days post op). Will massaging help? What else can I do to reduce hardness?

Thank you for your question and pics.  These changes are not unusual at this stage of recovery.  Gentle massage can be helpful.  Ultimately, things will get better and softer with time.  Persistent small hard areas that may be clot under the skin can improve quicker with warm compresses.  Be sure to ask your surgeon for specific instructions on what to do - that will be your best guide.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Neck Lift Skin -- Botox, Lymphatic Massage, Hyperbaric Oxygen

We do a combination of post operative therapies for our patients including botox, massage and hyperbaric oxygen for improved results and quicker healing. Best, Dr. Emer.

Post neck lift firmness

Digital massage can help but need to make sure you are not massaging the sutures.  There are ultrasound assisted massaging devices that are used routinely post facial and neck surgery.  They may help as well.

Johnny Mao, MD, FACS
Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes along with external ultrasound therapy sessions. But better to follow only your surgeon's advise!

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question, mafleefox. Massaging can help to reduce the hardness, however, you should remain patient and follow your board certified facial plastic surgeon's recovery guidelines as the recovery can take up to 3-6 months for the changes to complete.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Hardness

At ten days,you're still very much in the early healing stages. First, you need to follow the directions your surgeon gave you. Second, you need to have patience-- it will take 3-6 mos for all of the changes in the neck and face to resolve and soften. I would recommend, if you're not already doing it, apply some warm compresses to your face and neck 3-4 x's/d for 15 mins/ and take some Arnica pellets which are herbal supplements to clear the bruising.

Robert J. Smyth, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon