Is there any way besides medical loans to pay off FTM top surgery after having the surgery done?
Doctor Answers 4
Paying for FTM surgery
I am not in Texas so have no first hand knowledge, but you might check out the possibility of a resident clinic at one of the teaching hospitals. If they already have experiences surgeons that can staff or oversee a resident you might be able to have your surgery at a discounted rate.If you have no other options it is worth looking into.
Best of luck.
Insurance Coverage for FTM Top Surgery
There are a number of states that now prohibit discrimination and legally require #insurance companies to provide transgender health coverage. If you live in a state where surgery coverage is not mandated by law, you still might be able to get your top surgery covered via student health insurance. To get #Top Surgery covered by insurance there are a number of requirements. Here are some of the obstacles you may face:
1. Meeting the insurance company's basic criteria: legal adult status, Gender Dysphoria diagnosis, support letters from qualified mental health practitioners, your primary care provider and your surgeon.
2. Having to pay out-of-pocket for surgery, then getting a reimbursement from the insurance company.
3. Having to be evaluated by a board of in-network doctors.
4. Finding in-network surgeons who have Top Surgery experience.
Keep in mind, that coverage varies between health insurance companies, states, and plans. Read your policy completely, not only the summary, and look for the #exclusions and limitations section. Finally, call your insurance company's member services department, or, contact a #benefits representative and ask the following:
• Is my selected surgeon a provider with my specific plan? (Make sure that you provide the representative with your surgeon's NPI number.)
• If my surgeon is NOT a provider, does my plan have out of network benefits?
• Does my plan cover gender confirmation Top Surgery?
• How much is my deductible?
Being each person varies, it’s important to be realistic about your goals and what is achievable. It's best to consult with your board-certified plastic surgeon about your concerns and to confirm if FTM Top is in your best interest. It is important to gather all the cost information for Top Surgery from all of the surgeons you consult with. Additionally, you will also incur post-operative costs such as a medical compression vest, medications, paper tape, gauze, scar care and more.
Insurance coverage for Transgender surgery. #insurance #top surgery
I hope this helps!
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.