Why does asymmetry after Voluma look slightly less in the evening?

Two weeks after Voluma there is noticeable asymmetry that looks slightly less in the evening even though it is still obviously there, just slightly less noticeable. In the afternoon the asymmetry is very noticeable just like in the morning. I iced, slept with head elevated, etc. I had moh surgery on my nose on the side that changes throughout the day, though I only had filler in my cheeks so the nose can't be causing this can it? How can I even hope to fix asymmetry when this is happening?

Voluma results

Thank you for your question randa911. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler designed to restore lost volume in the face. In our office I start patients with a conservative amount of filler and have them return two weeks later to assess the final results once the swelling has subsided. At that point further enhancement may be performed if desired or if there is any asymmetry that needs correction. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Voluma

Swelling from Voluma can take a few weeks to resolve.  I would wait and see how it seems after that time.  You can always have it dissolved if it doesn't look quite right. Please consult a specialist in cosmetic injections for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Takes time

The healing and swelling from Voluma generally improves over the first few weeks. Healing from a Mohs surgery can alter and delay the healing. 

Best to take photos that document the changes and discuss with your doctor.

Asymmetrical swelling

I wish that I had an answer for you, but as you are finding out, your post op swelling will change and shift daily. And it's different for each patient. You should be seeing improvement in the overall swelling at 2 weeks, and this should continue to improve over the next couple of weeks. For now, be patient and kind to yourself as your body recovers.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical Swelling with Voluma

This is tough to answer without pictures, but it most likely has to do with tissue swelling at night that decreases during daytime. Your asymmetry can be improved with a touch-up of filler or by having it dissolved with hyaluronidase and using a different technique next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Voluma asymmetry is less noticeable in evening

This is a frequent phenomenon and is cause by water accumulation in the filler during the night. When you are mostly upright throughout the day, the swelling will subside. This happens with all HA fillers. Correction of the problem is usually adding more one side or dissolving it. I can't give further advice without pictures. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without a full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite recommendations, but as there is some natural fluctuation in tissue turgor/swelling during the course of the day I would advise seeing your injector for treatment advice.  If the side with Voluma is the side that looks larger, I would add filler to the opposite side for balance.  If the Voluma remains the smaller side, add filler to this side to create better balance.  I do not think that your previous Mohs surgery is causing the asymmetry.  Hope this helps