After a mini tummy tuck if I still feel unhappy, can I go back for my upper abs and skin removal above the belly button?

I had a mini tummy tuck a few weeks ago. I'm still feeling as though my stomach is not tight. I still feel as though my skin is loose above my navel and my abs protrude. Of course it's tight on the bottom but just seems unproportinate to me. My surgeon says he does not think I need to fix that but it still bothers me and feels as though I paid a lot of money and don't feel much different about my stomach.

Healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Your tummy tuck scars will usually flatten and fade between 9-12 months but can sometimes take closer to 18 months. Scar fading depends on your genetics. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D. Vistnes Plastic Surgery San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Upper Abdomen following mini TT

I am sorry that you feel unhappy about your situation. Perhaps first give yourself time to heal, up to 6 months. If you're still unhappy talk with your surgeon. Without a photo I don't feel like I can give you an educated opinion except that the mini TT would not have planned to improve above the belly button.  Depending on your discussions in consultation and your desired outcome it's worth talking about again with your surgeon. Hope that helps. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. If you want to attend more the muscles and tightness it is always better to do a full Tummy tuck. Best of luck 

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Limitations of a mini tummy tuck

A mini tummy tuck is not expected to improve the skin tone in the upper abdomen. It may be possible to convert it to a full tummy tuck in the future but that would be another major surgery, not a touch-up or enhancement of your mini tummy tuck.

Richard Baxter, MD

Full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction

It sound like you will need a full tummy tuck with muscle reconstruction, which is a better operation for almost everyone than a mini.

Mini Tummy Tuck

That is a valid concern, however you have to give your body time to heal and even out before judging the final result. It can take weeks even months for your body to finish healing. I always advise patients that YOUR tummy "decides" which type of abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) needs to be done to achieve the prettiest result. It's important to know which type will accomplish what! Follow up with your surgeon and discuss your concerns. Best Wishes!