Do I have tuberous breast deformity? Can I achieve an attractive look with augmentation alone? (Photo)

I believe I have tuberous breast deformity, after years of research and contemplation-I've thought about breast augmentation surgery for as long as I can remember. My breasts have looked this way since age 11, with very little growth thereafter. I am now age 22 with one child whom I did breastfeed, though not successfully. I could not produce enough milk. I have frequent breast and areolar/nipple discomfort, and can only achieve a "normal" look with a very expensive, heavily padded bra.

Tuberous breasts

Hello, the photos do not look typical of tuberous breasts in my opinion.  However, when nipples are very low on the breasts, typically a breast lift is required (possibly with implants as well) to improve their position.  I would suggest seeking several opinions with experienced plastic surgeons to discuss the options.

You don't have a tuberous breast

I do not think you have a tuberous breast. The lower pole of your breast (the area between the nipple and the crease under the breast) is constricted or tight. You can have nice results with a breast implant that can stretch this area and create a nice curve. You may need a minor nipple lift at the same time that can also reduce he size of your areola.

Mohammed Alghoul, MD

Not Tuberous breasts

Hello, Thanks for your question, based on your photos you don't seem to have tuberous breasts, and its very possible that with breast augmentation alone you can obtain a satisfactory result, but a personal evaluation should be done. breast augmentation surgery is a procedure with a surgery time of 1-3 hours, a recuperation time of 2 weeks, and it has an approximate cost of US$2,500-3,500.

Regards, Dr. Kemil Issa

Kemil Issa, MD

Breast augmentation alone could enhance tuberous breasts

Thanks for your question. You could get a good result with breast augmentation alone. I've had patients whose breasts were similar to yours and I was able to achieve a good result for them simply with a one-stage saline breast augmentation. In your research, you may have read about scoring of the breast tissue to expand the constriction of the breast. I believe a saline implant acts like a tissue expander to break up the constriction without my having to cut any breast tissue.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Do I have tuberous breast deformity? Can I achieve an attractive look with augmentation alone?

Thank you for your question and photos. I think your breast photos do demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tubular (constricted) his breast. For example, the distance from the areola to inframammary folds seems to be tight and relatively short. Your inframammary folds seem to be widely spaced from the midline of your chest. The areola do demonstrate some features associated with tubular breast such as an increased width and “puffiness”. There is also breast asymmetry present. You will benefit from an in-person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. This consultation will allow for accurate advice that is best provided after a thorough history, physical examination, and detailed discussion of your goals. There are a lot of factors to consider when making recommendations; for example your life circumstances ( planned pregnancies, psychosocial situation…) and tolerance for scars are factors that should be taken into consideration by you and your plastic surgeon.

Tuberous breast and augmentation

You have a slightly ptotic and constricted breast rather than tuberous.

I think you can get a nice result from a breast augmentation which will expand your lower pole and give you a better breast shape.

As other surgeons have commented, down the track you may need a small lift to improve your nipple position, but not necessarily and I would avoid the additional scars in the first instance. This can always be added later but cannot be undone!!!

Best wishes

Can I achieve an attractive look with augmentation.

Your breast is a bit constricted in the lower fold and tight at the breast fold, yet not really tuberous. You can have a nice result with augmentation which will expand the lower pole and improve breast shape. Afterward you might benefit from a minor lift of the nipple to keep it centered on the breast. All the best,

Your pictures show a moderate form of a constricted breast deformity with high and short inframammary folds and a short distance between the fold and the nipple with little tissue in the lower breast. Tuberous breast deformity is the most severe form of constricted breast deformity. While you technically don't have all the features of tuberous breast, many people interchange the two deformities.
The good news is that you are likely to achieve a very nice result with surgery, but you will need a lift with an implant to achieve the best results. Due to the short distance between the fold and nipple and the amount of sagging, an implant alone will not look right as your nipples will point down and you will have too much volume in the upper breast.

Tuberous Breast

Typically tuberous breasts require some additional work on the breast tissue to splay the tissue so it sits better over  the implant. In addition  your nipples may require a minor mastopexy but the pictures are not optimal so I cannot be  more specific.

Tuberous breast and implants

Thank you for your question and your photos. Based on your photos you do have certain components of a true tuberous breast.
you can get a nice improvement in the appearance of your breasts with an implant based augmentation and/or lift. I recommend a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Best wishes.Dr. Dhaval Patel

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon