What should I do for my necrosis? (Photo)

I had a bilateral mastectomy on 12/2 with immediate reconstruction with implant. The right side developed necrosis. I now have a hole in my right breast. What should I do? My PS doesn't seem to be concerned, but I'm freaking out.

Implant reconstruction

It appears that your implant is exposed and will need to be removed.  Please see your PS right away.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Skin necrosis

Thanks for the pics.  It appears that your implant is exposed and please call your plastic surgeon right away to get this addressed. 

What should I do for my necrosis?

The opening in the reconstructed breast is very concerning and if the implant is exposed you will need it removed. Generally, if an implant has to be removed one should give the tissue time to heal before placing a new implant. You should return to your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. 

David Mathes, MD
Aurora Plastic Surgeon

Mastectomy Flap Necrosis after Direct Implant Reconstruction

It appears that the skin around your previous nipple areola complex has died and become necrotic.  This is the circular area the breast surgeon uses to remove the breast tissue.  This circular area has a large amount of stress put on it during surgery.  If this is a direct implant case most plastic surgeons are using a biologic mesh but I cannot tell if you have this in place.  this appears like exposed implant and if that it is the case then it should be death with by your Plastic Surgeon.

Post reconstruction necrosis

The exposed implant needs to be removed in order for the body to eradicate any contamination/infection.

You may want to consider in advance if you want one or both implants removed; the choice is symmetry while

the healing period of 3-6 months transpires versus a prosthesis on one side maintaining balance in clothes.

Did you have radiation therapy?-------that may be a causative factor in the non healing and may require

additional measures to maintain wound stability.

Hope this helps.........in time this should be behind you.......

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS

Necrotic wound

In one photo, it looks like your expander/implant is exposed. It likely will need to be removed. You should see your surgeon ASAP.

You have exposed implants - you need to see your plastic surgeon immediately

You have exposed implants - you need to see your plastic surgeon immediately.  This is something that will most likely require implant removal as based on your pictures I see an exposed implant.

Martin Jugenburg, MD