Silicone breast implants 40 years. Ruptured. Hard, Baker III. Breast hurts arm, chest. Enbloc/ Total Capsulectomy explant .

Two doctors I saw could not do operation. Need doctor close if possible. Live in Johnson City, Tenn. Could not find doctor in Tenn. N.C. Insurance is medicare/tri-care(will pay if medical) or I will pay. Help find doctor. Maria

Here’s a link to the board certified doctors in your area who perform breast implant removal.

Doctor Answers 4


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a number of experienced surgeons in Knoxville or Nashville, that should be to help you.

Good luck

Silicone breast implants 40 years. Ruptured.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I cannot understand why any plastic surgeon experienced in breast surgery would not be able to handle your case. Every major city has many capable surgeons. Seems to need to look a little more. Good luck. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD
Portland Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Enbloc/ Total Capsulectomy explant .

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing.  You are wise in having the procedure performed close to home if at all possible.  Based on your description, en bloc  removal of the breast implant certainly seems indicated. En bloc breast implant removal refers to a procedure where the breast implant and the surrounding capsule is removed as a single unit.  The procedures is performed such that the  contents within the breast implant capsule do not come into contact with the surrounding tissues. 

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. 

***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes.

You might also like...

Need removal of ruptured siiicone implants from the 1980s

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for asking about your silicone implant removal.

I am sorry this has happened - but it is a common problem caused by these original implants.  Any plastic surgeon working in the 1990s or earlier should be able to help you because the problem was quite commonly seen then. I have taken care of many of these. If you cannot find a surgeon nearer, I would be happy to help. My office number is 404.941-3200. For out-of-town patients we do Skpe, phone and face time consultations first. It will be important to know before the surgery if the ruptured gel is in the capsule, out of the capsule or in the tissues around the breast - simply for surgical planning. Insurance has never covered this procedure in my experience.

Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.