Do I need a nipple reduction in addition to my breast reduction surgery? (Photo)

I am scheduled to have breast reduction surgery soon, hopefully going from a 36H to a 36C, using the lollipop technique. Since my nipples (as well as areolas) are very large, should I also get a nipple reduction? I understand that the size of the areola will be reduced during the breast reduction surgery, but I feel that my nipples will be too large for smaller breasts. I appreciate your help!

Nipple reduction surgery/Areola reduction surgery/Nipple Correction

Yes it is possible to reduce the nipples at the time of breast reduction surgery. If you already feel your nipples are too large then it is likely with reduction in volume this will be more of a concern to you. However, a nipple reduction can always be performed under local anaesthetic with you awake at a later date and so if you are unsure I would wait. Extremely rarely, nipple inversion can occur after breast reduction surgery according to some reported surgeon experiences, though I have not come across this myself following my own breast reduction patients. So waiting until all has healed and settled may be wiser from this point of view.

All the very best,

Jonathan Adamthwaite FRCS (Plast) Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Liverpool Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a nipple reduction in addition to my breast reduction surgery?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Yes, nipple reduction and breast reduction surgery can be done at the same time (unless your plastic surgeon determines that there is a concern regarding blood supply to the nipple/areola complexes, in which case, performing the nipple reduction surgery at a second stage would be in your best interests).   

Generally speaking,  the nipple reduction is an excellent procedure for the patient suffering from prominent nipples (both female and male). This procedure can reduce the height and width of the nipple, usually preserving sensation. It can be done under local anesthesia or in combination with other procedures (under general anesthesia).

For women, I like to use the “sleeve” technique to reduce the height of the nipple. This procedure leaves the core of the nipple intact preserving nerves and lactiferous ducts. The suture line generally heals very nicely in this area. The width of the nipple can be reduced by removing a triangular segment from the tip area.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Nipple reduction

Thank you for posting photos along with your question. I think you are correct in the way you are thinking about this. When your breasts are reduced the relative size of your nipples compared to your breasts may look larger than it did before even though they are the same size. Whether your nipple should be reduced or not is really up to you! If I was to do a nipple reduction procedure on someone who was also having a breast reduction/lift I would do this at a later date and under local anesthesia. I would let the breasts heal and then perform the nipple reduction. Hope this helps and hope you are being evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reduction consideration

Hello Lotus 85-

Whether on not you choose to also have a nipple reduction is personal preference. The smaller you go in size, the more you might want to consider it. You can always do this at a later date in the office. Good luck.

Mark Anton, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Nipple reduction

Nipple reductions are seldom performed at the time of a breast reduction.  The areolas (the colored circle of skin around the nipple) are quite commonly reduced at the time of a breast reduction. I would have to see you to make the definite determination, but the photos don't reveal to me a 100% need for a nipple reduction.  Best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon to determine this for sure.  I hope this helps.

Anthony Youn, MD, FACS
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your photos and question. I agree that a good balance between the size of the breasts, diameter of areola and projection of the nipples, is the base of an attractive breast. However in my professional opinion, the decision to proceed with a nipple reduction has to be based on the final result of the breast reshaping procedure. Therefore I would recommend first to have your breast reduction, wait for at least 3 months until the breasts have nicely settled, assess at that stage the final size of the breasts and then decide if to go ahead with the nipple reduction, procedure that can be performed under local anaesthetic, day case, minimal recovery and downtime. I hope this helps.

All the best.

Andrea Marando

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon

Manchester UK

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon