Tummy Tuck Scar - I would consider a Tummy Tuck if needed.

However, I really don't care too much about having that big long scar to look at for the rest of my life.

Unfortunately, you will have a #scar no matter what kind of #abdominoplasty you get.  In most cases, the scar from a #tummytuck is very low, close to the pubic hair and can be hidden by clothing.

Book an in-person consultation with a #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon to discuss your case in more detail.

I would like to have a tummy tuck but I am concerned about the scar.

No one likes to have a scar, but if a tummy tuck is the operation you need, then there is no way to avoid the scar. Having said that you have to understand that the scars heal differently in different people. You may be a great healer and your scars may be very unnoticeable. You may be a candidate for a mini TT, which is a combination of liposuction and a smaller skin excision. in this case the scar is very small. I would suggest that you get a proper evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon in northern New Jersey to know what operation you need. I can usually tell how people heal by examining their skin and possibly looking at other scars in their body.

Tummy Tuck Evaluation

The abdominoplasty can be effective way to improve your body contour and shape. A full consultation would be required to see if you are an appropriate candidate for the surgery. As far as the incision we use a silicone based scar cream beginning one month after the procedure.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scar

Hi ervyn02... If you are asking if you need a tummy tuck, please post some photos.  Tummy tuck would be beneficial if you have loose skin on your abdomen.
Dr. Parham Ganchi - Wayne, NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

With out any photos it is impossible to say whether or not you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tummy tuck scar

Any surgical procedure leaves a scar.  Tummy tuck scars are typically low and long and hidden in underwear or bikini's.  For patients undergoing tummy tuck surgery, the scar trade-off outweighs the results.  Scars also go through a 12-18 month maturation phase during which time the scars flatten and fade.  Without any photographs to review its impossible to advise if you are a candidate for a tummy tuck or other body contouring procedures.

Tummy Tuck Scars

Thank you for your question. I would recommend an in person exam to discuss your candidacy and scarring concerns. The incisions are placed low so that scars can be concealed by underwear and a bikini, but depending on your feelings on scarring it may or may not be the right treatment option for you.

Dr. Leonard Lu

Leonard Lu, MD

Tummy Tuck Scar

A tummy tuck scar is often hip to hip.  The length depends on the amount of excess skin and the height and weight of the patient.  Get an evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon who will discuss your options and the goals that you want to obtain.  You want to have the correct procedure to avoid post op disappointment.

Michelle Hardaway, MD
Farmington Plastic Surgeon

Scar placement, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
It is very important to discuss with your plastic surgeon how will be the resultant scars after surgery.
In the Tummy Tuck the scarring is hidden in the panties line. You will change abdominal sagging skin, fat tissue and stretch marks by an aesthetically acceptable scar. If you have a vertical scar component (like an inverted "T") probably the skin didn't reach down, and needed to do that to get a safety closure.
Therefore, the scar revision may be considered after six months of surgery.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck Scars

The length of the scar depends on the patient's hip width and the amount of tissue that needs to removed. If fat is the only issue (the skin is good quality and not loose and the muscle is tight without separation) then minimally invasive (liposuction) and non-invasive options (CoolSculpting) are possible options. Scarring is multi-factorial. A "long" well healed and concealed scar is much more accepting than a "short" poorly healed or poorly placed scar. 

In our office, we utilize the Embrace Active Scar Defense system by Neodyne to help optimize the scar and minimize the scarring for all of our TT patients. You might want to see if the appearance of Embrace-treated scars would be more acceptable for you or you should inquire about he use of this device in your postop care should you decide to have a TT.

A TT is not a decision that is easy or that should be taken lightly. Good luck in your decision and plastic surgery journey.

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon