How long will the swelling last? How long do I have to wear the garment? I had mommy makeover.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Wear Your Garment!

After their #tummytuck or #mommymakeover, most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened  several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic #garment for compression over the next six weeks during the #healing process.
Your swelling will subside over the next 3 to 6 months.  If you have more questions, please contact your #boardcertified #plasticsurgeon.

How long will your swelling last?

Regarding your garment, you should ask your specific plastic surgeon how long he/she wants you to stay in the garment.  Swelling is usually subsiding by 3-6 months but believe it or not, it can take a full year to see final results.  Good luck!  

Compression garments and swelling after surgery

Swelling after surgery is a normal and expected part of the recovery process.  Some patients see their swelling resolve faster than others, but after a mommy makeover it is typical to see a big improvement in swelling around 3-6 months, with continued but slower improvement up to a year after surgery.
Wearing a compression garment as directed by your surgeon can help minimize the swelling and improve your results.  I generally have my mommy makeover patients wearing some type of compression garment continuously for at least 4-6 weeks after their surgery.  Many patients find they need to wear their garment on and off even months later to address particularly "puffy" days.  Check with your own surgeon about what kind of usage he/she recommends for you.
Hope this helps, and take care with the rest of your recovery, Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

It is very normal  to have swelling the first months after the procedure.Most of my patients like to us the garment at least the first 4-5 months after but it is a personal choice. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy Makeover - Post Op Swelling? Compression Garment?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. You are still very early in the post-operative period and should expect to have swelling for several months. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve.  Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.