Frontal area. Has it healed? (Photo)

I got a 1500 FUE HT done 11 days ago and my doc is half way around the world. I wanted to know in your opinion has my frontal area healed? From the picture do you think the scabs and crusts are now off (I feel like they are) I will be shaving these new hairs tomorrow and want to make sure it has fully healed first. (Please see attached photo) Also is it okay to put shaving cream on?

Care of scalp following hair transplant

I would not recommend shaving the hairs for a minimum of three weeks following a hair transplant.  You can injure the follicles.  Concerns like this can often be addressed in forums such as RealSelf.  However, you should certainly want to make an attempt to reach your doctor via email or phone. Many of my patients who travel communicate with me via photos and Skype.  It's very helpful.

10 days with crusts still on the head

Shaving your recipient area with crusts on your head is asking for trouble as the razor (either electric or other) will pull on the hair attached to the grafts and pull them out along with the crusts. Continue proper washing (ask your doctor about this) and wait until all of the crusts are off before shaving your head.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Shaving head after FUE

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but my first reaction is, with so many accomplished FUE surgeons in the greater New York area, let alone the East Coast, let alone the United States, any one of whom probably would be more accessible to you for questions or concerns following surgery, was there a reason you had your procedure done by a doctor halfway around the world? That said, you should get in touch with the doctor who performed your surgery and ask him or her to advise you regarding the timing of your first post-FUE shave. This is a very common question and was probably addressed in your post-op instructions, especially in the case of someone who lives halfway around the world, so you might want to re-read those instructions.

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

You doctor can be half way around the world but there is email, Skype, and phones.

You doctor can be half way around the world but there is email, Skype, and phones.  Only your doctor knows what was done and what may be an issue in your particular case.  It is always a good idea to keep your doctor in the loop.  Your doctor will have their own particular post-operative care instructions.  A general answer here is not the right answer if your doctor has a different answer.

In general, you will have hair loss after surgery. You may have graft loss after surgery. Not all the grafts will take. You won't really know until you see results in 6 to 12 months.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Day 11 post op

I'd recommend checking in with your physician by email, phone or Skype and reviewing these questions. Every surgeon has different views on when one can shave post FUE. Without seeing the scalp up close, you are likely the best judge if the crusts are off. Certainly it appears okay 

Check with your surgeon about the timing of shaving and how he or she recommends you shave - some prefer 2 weeks and some a little longer.