Can Ultrashape of the abdomen be performed in the presence of a small umbilical hernia?

I have a small umbilical hernia that surfaced after 2 pregnancies. Last pregnancy was 4 years ago. Can I have Ultrashape performed to my abdomen without a hernia repair or do I need to have the hernia repaired first?

UltraShape and umbilical hernia

Thank you for your inquiry.It would be possible to have Ultrashape performed even in the presence of a small hernia.The practitioner or technician would just have to be careful about working around the area where the hernia is located.I hope this helps.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Ultrashape and umbilical hernia

Thanks for your question.Yes, Ultrashape can be performed in the presences of a small hernia.The important thing to keep in mind here is to be sure to work around the area of the hernia.I hope this helps.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Ultrashape and a hernia

Ultrashape is ultrasound technology and can be performed with a hernia present as long as you do not directly treat the hernia.  It is best to have an evaluation by the surgeon who can give you the best plan because all hernias are not created equal.

Jay Calvert, MD, FACS

UltraShape and Hernias

UltraShape and the other fat destroying systems should not be performed over hernias.  Unlike many of the other systems, UltraShape treatments can be customized to avoid treating regions of known hernias.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure

Thank you for your question, Etoile888. I suggest you consider SculpSure, a safer (FDA-approved), more effective (melt 25% of your unwanted subcutaneous fat) and comfortable (no recovery time; treatment feels like a heating pad) for any of your fat loss treatment in the belly and flanks area. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

UltraShape Umbilical Hernia

I do not recommend that you have an UltraShape treatment directly over the umbilical hernia.However,the UltraShape treatment can be customized to avoid the herniated area but you will still have a bulge over the hernia.

Joel E. Kopelman, MD, FACS
Ridgewood Oculoplastic Surgeon

Umbilical Hernia

Yes.  UltraShape can be performed if the hernia is localized, and the provider doesn't not treat the area directly.  It is important to get in the hands of someone that is very experienced.  The UltraShape provider in my office is a national trainer for the device and can handle anything.

Zena Gabriel, MD, FAAD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Ultrashape / Coolsculpting VERSUS HI Definiton Liposuction

Yes ultrashape can be performed in the stomach if you have a hernia, but coolsculpting cannot.  Liposuction can as well so I suggest you see a physician who can do a formal full body evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.