Will the swelling above my incision subside? (Photo)

I am 3 weeks and 3 days post op tummy tuck i know its early but im not sure if in satified with my results the purpose of the tuck was to get rid of the pouch at the bottom

Swelling

The swelling that occurs above the incision will persist for up to 6 months.  You should be patient with this.  Let your surgeon now and ensure you do not have any fluid accumulated in the area that may need to be drained.  

Will the swelling above my incision subside?

Thank you for your question and photograph and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  Most commonly this is residual swelling from surgery which will spontaneously resolve but it would be important to voice your concerns to your surgeon to ensure that other issues are not taking place - discrete fluid collection, muscle laxity, or residual adipose tissue. 

Swelling 3 Weeks Post Op

3 Weeks is very early post op. You can expect swelling to gradually decrease over the next few months. Often, the area just above the incision line is the last to go down. Be sure to follow your Plastic Surgeon's post op instructions and try to hold off until closer to 6 months before evaluating your results.

All the best

Normal healing process

The lumpiness, burning, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Your tummy tuck scars will usually flatten and fade between 9-12 months but can sometimes take closer to 18 months. Scar fading depends on your genetics. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.

Vistnes Plastic Surgery

San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Too soon to judge your results

I know that it is really frustrating to not have the stomach of your dreams immediately following surgery, but it takes you body time to recover and heal. You are still in the infancy of your healing process so for now, be patient and kind to yourself. The swelling will continue to subside with time. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (3 weeks post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD