Sclerotherapy for biege skin/tan/Asian. Would I get hyperpigmentation after sclero? (Photos)

I'm cautious about the procedure after sclerotherapy if I would get scar, or would they come back? ( base on my photo I have a light pigmentation due to bugbites scar. And I'm worry that I may get scar after sclero? And what is the best sclero solution? Need to see a vein specialist ? Thank you in advance!

Sclerotherapy Is Generally A Safe & Effective Treatment For Leg Spider Veins

Sclerotherapy is a time-tested, tried and true treatment for "spider" veins that has been used successfully with gratifying results for many decades. in fact, even in this day and age of glitzy, heavily hyped and marketed lasers, sclerotherapy for spider leg veins remains the gold standard. I, myself, have been performing it for over thirty years. Various solutions are available for this purpose and the appropriate choice for any particular individual is best determined at the time of initial consultation. Tiny needles are used to help insure that the solution enters the very narrow vessels. Occasional side effects include bruising, hyperpigmentation and very rarely small scar formation, but the bruising and pigmentary problems, if they occur, are generally relatively short-lived and the development of a scar extremely unusual when the procedure is performed by an experienced injector. To achieve an optimal result, most spider veins require between two and four treatment sessions, spaced at four week intervals. Perhaps to more directly respond to your question, I might add the following:  The outcome of most aesthetic treatments, including sclerotherapy, result from the interplay of three essential ingredients: a good doctor; a good patient; and mostly good luck. So, best of luck to you and be sure to seek consultation and treatment at the hands of a board certified, aesthetic physician with expertise and experience in sclerotherapy and of course ask to see his/her before and after photos before proceeding..

Sclerotherapy and brown discoloration

Thanks for your question! The risk of getting brown pigment stains following sclerotherapy has to do with the concentration (i.e. strength) of the liquid injected, the patient's own pysiology, and also plain luck.  I warn my patients that this complication can be difficult to predict, and it doesn't matter how dark your skin is to begin with.  All skin types seem equally susceptible.  Your best bet to avoid having this occur is to make sure you are treated by a physician who is an experienced sclerotherapy specialist.  Best of luck to you!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Sclerotherapy and Hyperpigmentation

Hello,Hyperpigmentation can happen in anyone, with risk factors including a history of hyperpigmentation and also patients with darker skin.  Fortunately however, hyperpigmentation is typically a temporary issue that resolves on its own.Having said this, there are certain things that can be done to prevent hyperpigmentation.  These include: wearing medical grade compression stocking for 1 week post procedure, going to a vein specialist that uses the correct dose of sclerosant agent, and also staying out the sun a couple weeks before and a few weeks after treatment. Good Luck!

Michael Nguyen, MD
Miami Physician

Sclerotherapy

From the posted pictures, sclerotherapy would be the procedure of choice.  Polidocanol (Asclera)would be my treatment of choice since it is associated with the least chance of staining.  There is no guarantee that staining will not occur and some veins will always recur.  The lower the concentration of the sclerotherapy solution the less the chance of staining but it has to be strong enough to eradicate the veins.  See a vein specialist.

John Landi, MD
Naples General Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation after sclerotherapy

Although darker skin tones are more likely to get hyperpigmentation after sclerotherapy, anyone can get it.  If you are concerned about this I suggest finding someplace that is willing to do a test patch first.

Lisa Perez, MD
Atlanta Physician