Is it safe to have a baby after a tummy tuck?

will the stomach look way worse after pregnancy post TT? will the stomach flatten back on its own after birth?

Is it safe to have a baby after a TT?

Thank you for your question. It is likely the results from a TT will change with pregnancy. It is best to have children prior to a TT. 

Baby after #tummytuck

You can have a pregnancy after a tummy tuck, however you have a high chance that the results from a tummy tuck will be destroyed and if this happen a second tummy tuck would be more difficult than the original TT.
A TT is best perform after the patient is done with pregnancies. If a patient gets pregnant after a TT, the patient should follow with prenatal care in a normal way and wait until after 3-6 months after birth to determine if any revision would be needed.
Be sure you seek the advised of a ABPS certified plastic surgeon.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy post TT

You can have a baby safely and just how your tummy will look post pregnancy depends on how big you get..There is no question your abdomen will stretch out.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Safe to have a baby after a tummy tuck?

Yes, it is possible (and safe) to carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure. In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in the near future prior to having the tummy tuck. Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Baby after tummy tuck

hello dear happy to answer your question
should ideally wait a minimum of two years after a tummy tuck performed, and thus prevent any occurrence complications in pregnancy.
good luck,
My best wishes for you

Manuel Belen, MD

Baby After TT

Thanks for your question.  I usually tell women to wait until they are finished having babies and at least one year out from the youngest baby. This way their chances of needing a revision or update to their tummy tuck would be very low.    If you do get pregnant after tummy tuck there is no risk to baby if that was of concern. 

Wishing you the best,
Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy & tummy tuck

I typically advise patients to wait on the tummy tuck until after they have children since pregnancy and hormones can definitely adversely affect your results. However, it is perfectly safe to get pregnant after a tummy tuck. It will not harm you or your baby. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Baby after tummy tuck

Hello dear, thanks for your post. I happen to do a lot of tummy tucks in my practice and I've had several women get pregnant afterwards. The baby's have all been fine and I have NEVER needed to touch anybody up.

I will admit that during the pregnancy they seem to carry a little higher in the abdomen, but when all is said and done they still look great a year after the baby is born. I had one woman ask for liposuction in the flank area, but that has nothing to do with the tummy tuck - that's just a little baby fat left over after the fact. I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon for a person evaluation and to talk about your goals. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Baby after tummy tuck

Thanks for your question. It's safe to have a baby after a tummy tuck. A revision tummy tuck may be needed after you have a baby. The muscles and skin are stretched during pregnancies and the tummy tuck procedure is able to tighten the underlying muscles and reduce the excess fat. Be sure to find a board certified plastic surgeon, and it's a plus if he or she is an active member of ASAPS and/or ASPS.

German Newall, MD

Having Children after Tummy Tuck #tummytuck

• It is safe to have children after a tummy tuck.
  • However, having a pregnancy after a tummy tuck will stretch your skin and muscles again.
  • The nice abdominal contour that was achieved with the tummy tuck may not return after the pregnancy, and a tummy tuck revision might be necessary.