Is Restylane the better filler for under eye shallow trough ? What is estimated cost? (Photo)

It always looks like I have dark circles but I don't. Just hollow eyes I guess. Is restylane or Juvaderm better? I read you are not suppose to use Juvaderm for under eyes. Also how many sessions would I need ? Looking for something to last atleast a year.

Filling the tear trough with restylane

The tear trough is a fickle area and requires real expertise to inject properly and naturally. It is more prone to bruising and swelling (similar to the lip) than other areas like cheek bones or laugh lines. It is also more likely to need touch-ups or hyaluronidase to dissolve excess swelling or the blue Tyndall effect (since the skin is thin). Restylane or restylane fine lines are both great options, as would be Teosyal Redensity-II. Tear trough filler with any hyaluronic acid filler easily lasts 1 year and sometimes up to 2 years.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I like belotero, silk, or voluma to the trough.  Please see an expert who does a combination approach.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tear Trough Injections

I like to use either Restylane or Belotero under the eye. It is usally predictable and swelling is minimal.  I utilize cannulas to inject the product which does result in less bruising. Cost depends on the geographic location as well as the experience of the provider and can range anywhere from $600 to $1000 per syringe.  This area requires quite a bit of skill as it is easy to overfill or place superficially resulting in a bluish discoloration from products such as Restylane or a lump.
Check the experience of the injector and ask for photos of other they have injected

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Is Restylane the better filler for under eye shallow trough

you are not a good candidate for injections. YOu don't have volume loss.  YOu have very prominent eyes, which sit anterior to the bone of the brow and lower orbital rim. In addition the pictures show that you have dark circles which will not be made better by injections. You have a small of bulgy fat in the lid on the right side of the picture.  You could inject a small amount of filler there but it will do very little.
Filling the area enough to in essence bring the bone of the lower lid forward is technically difficult. If you can't avoid doing something use restylane. Belotero in my opinion just melts away.

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough and filler

Although Restylane is a good choice for the trough I prefer Belotero because it is less likely to have the Tyndall effect (blue color).  Cost varies but the price is based on a cost for the syringe

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Best filler for the tear trough

I think you are a great candidate for tear trough filler.  I prefer to use Restylane or Belotero in this area.  They don't draw in much water, minimizing the risk of swollen, puffy eyelids.  The results are smooth and natural looking.  Usually only one treatment session is necessary, but I always see my patients two weeks after injection to make sure we both love the results.  I recommend seeking a consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon for treatment of this delicate area.

Chaneve Jeanniton, MD
Brooklyn Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear Trough Fillers

Thank you for your question. You are an excellent candidate for fillers under the eyes. In someone like yourself, who has some significant hollowing, I would use Restylane. In other patients with more subtle tear troughs, I may use Belotero or Restylane Silk. To be honest, it really is injector preference - although, in my hands at least, Juvederm can swell up a little much under the eyes and can be unpredictable. Restylane gives a little bit of a smoother, more natural look, and usually lasts anywhere from 9 months to a year. I would start with one syringe and see how things go; you may likely need 2 to achieve full correction. Usually, I'll inject to achieve correction, and then have the patient come back in 2 weeks to assess. If more is needed, I'll do it then. There is a good chance that you will have at least one bruise with injections, so if you have any engagements coming up, it's a good idea to schedule around them. The undereye area can be very sensitive - but typically the bruises and swelling resolve within about 3-7 days. Best of luck! 

Tear Trough Filler

You have volume loss under your eyelids and you are an excellent candidate for tear trough fillers. I personally prefer to inject with restylane in that area since it tends to cause less swelling. Since this is a very delicate area, you should only use an experienced injector. The cost may vary as you are not generally paying for the product, but rather for the skill and expertise of the injector.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tear trough filler...

Thank you for your question.  You are an excellent candidate for tear trough filler.  Restylane or Belotero are the preferred filler for this location.  Restylane is a particulate filler rather than cohesive gel giving it properties that are more conducive to this area.  Please be evaluated and treated by an expert board certified Derm/PS as this is a technically difficult area to treat.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon