Hi I've been researching BBL procedures for awhile now are they permanent? (photo)

I've been reading a lot of ladies posting how they lost the fat in a matter of months. I thought it was a permanent procedure, I didn't want to get implants but at least they last forever.

BBL Longevity

Hi and thanks for the question and photos. BBL is a fat grafting procedure which takes living fat cells from one area and puts them in the buttocks area. The fat cells that survive the transfer process will live in the buttocks and be permanent. It takes approximately 3 months for the skin to stretch and swelling to go down to really see what is going to stay from the transferred fat. So what is there at 3 months will be a long lasting result. Best of Luck - Dr Hardy...

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Is a BBL permanent?

With a BBL, there are a few reasons people may believe they 'lose the fat'.  First, is that some doctors are cautious about placing a fair amount of fat in each side to see a good difference.  If enough fat is placed, you should see a substantial increase in buttock volume.  The second point is a lot of the early postoperative swelling does go down in the first few weeks, so what is being lost is not fat, just that extra early swelling.  The fat that remains is yours to keep.  And although I hear that various percentages of fat are 'lost', these assertions are not backed up by much research.  Clinical experience shows that the fat seems to stay once you are past the initial recovery period.  And as far as implants go, they have some reasonable indications, but are not natural feeling in many cases.  They also have other potential problems.  There are examples of delayed infections requiring removal, so they should not be considered permanent.

Thomas A. Pane, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon