is it necessary to keep getting lymphatic massage if my drains already out?

is it necessary to keep getting lymphatic massage two weeks after my surgery if all my drains already out. my incisions are all closed, can I get regular massage instead.

No lymphatic massage needed

You should not have had drains in the first place.  Lymphatic massage is unnecessary and will not improve the outcome.

Lymphatic Massage after Liposuction

Lymphatic massage is recommended two weeks after liposuction to hasten the recovery period and shorten the period until optimal results can be seen. If you have other questions, please talk to your surgeon. Best, Dr. Emer

Is it necessary to keep getting lymphatic massage if my drains already out?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposculpture / Liposuction/ Hi Definition procedures/ Body contouring with fat grafting

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Value of post surgical lymphatic massage

Hard to give you an opinion without knowing what procedure you had and without the benefits of examining you.  Generally I employ lymphatic massage post op after body contouring( liposuction and tummy tucks) starting at two weeks post op until more of the swelling has subsided.  Is it necessary?  Probably not, but patient recovery is faster and results can be appreciated sooner.  Keep your follow up visits with your surgeon and get their advise.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon