What is the best laser for resurfacing and red pigmentation?

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

Resurfacing , there are many lasers it all depends on what you are treating.  Redness I think the proyellow or excel V are the best lasers on the market.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Vascular laser

For the red you need vascular laser such as pulse dye, alexandrite, KTP .This can be combined with other treat,ents such as photrejuvenation without making the redness worse.

Morris Westfried, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Resurfacing for red?

Resurfacing, by definition is an ablative laser that treats the entire surface of the skin. That would be a CO2 laser or an Erbium laser. They are mainly used for wrinkle reduction. For redness alone, broad band light (BBL), a form of intense pulsed light, can get rid of abnormal browns and reds without any downtime. If you want some texture and wrinkle improvement as well as some improvement in the reds, consider a combination of BBL with a Halo. The Halo is a combination laser that can improve wrinkles, texture, browns and reds with very little if any downtime.

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Every laser has a different target. The redness is best treated with a laser or IPL that targets redness. For example background erythema, rosacea, postprocedure redness, bruising, etc is best treated with BBL while if there are capillaries visible, then a 1064 or Clearskin yag laser is better. Often a combination of treatments gets you the results that you desire. Skin resurfacing for wrinkles, enlarged pores, laxity, photodamage, etc. can best be treated with BBL and /or Fractionally ablative Erbium, Halo hybrid laser, and a Fractional Radiofrequency  device. Alone or a combination of these devices  can improve the tone and texture of your skin. A complete evalulation will be required to get the best customized treatment plan for each individual patient. Be sure to consult someone that has a variety of devices. If there is only one device available, you limit your options.

John Standefer MD

Laser Skin Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to determine which laser is best for you. The consultation will allow the surgeon to examine your skin type, extent of skin damage, degree of lines and wrinkle formation that you want to have removed which will inform the decision on the type of laser. 

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Resurfacing depends on your exceptions

Most of the end result of resurfacing is depended on accurate assessment and the skin of your Specialist - this holds true for fully ablative laser resurfacing. 

Lasers such as Fraxel Dual, Lumenis, Sciton are all good lasers that deliver consistent energy levels. Using them in as a stand alone or in combination will give good results in the correct settings. 

Ok, as for redness lasers- V Beam Pulse Dye laser, Excel V are great ones. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Consider Halo Hybrid Laser

Hi, Tuneitup. As you can see in other answers, there is no consensus about the "best" laser for resurfacing or to reduce redness. Plastic surgeons often turn to certain lasers because they can get consistently good results with them. For instance, I like the Halo hybrid laser because I can use it to customize the treatment depending on the condition my patient wants to target. It is the first hybrid laser of its kind, with both ablative and non-ablative modes, and can be used to treat skin discoloration and for resurfacing. It's important that you choose a practice where the practitioner gets consistently strong results for patients with needs similar to your own. Best of luck.

Otto Weiglein, FRCSC
Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Smart Skin CO2 Laser and Excel V

Hello Tuneitup,
Thank you for your inquiry. To treat both texture and redness of the skin I would recommended two lasers. To treat the texture, tone and pigmentation of your skin, a CO2 Laser is highly recommended. Smart Skin CO2 laser can reduce unwanted wrinkles and fine lines, sun spots and large pores. The amount of downtime is typically a full week of no social engagments. The following weeks you would be able to cover up the redness with mineral make-up. Following your recovery from the laser resurfacing, we then recommend Excel V treatments. Excel V is the most effective KTP laser that treats facial telangiectasia and telangiectatic erythema (redness). I would recommend you speak to a board certified plastic surgeon for further information regarding your options. I hope this was helpful.

Kindly,

Dr. Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Best lasers...

Thank you for your question. Every physician has their own special go to laser that they like for specific skin issues. IPL's and CO2 are the typical go to lasers. Before making any decisions make sure you take time to ask any and all questions and that the physician addresses all of your concerns to make sure that you are getting the best treatment option for you. 

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Red on face

These are totally different issues.  For red you want to use something like IPL - intense pulsed light, to decrease the small blood vessels on the face.  For resurfacing, it is erbium or CO2.  These will actually make you more red.  These are used for wrinkles and scars.  

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon