I was wondering if the fat lipo from my flanks can be used for my lip augmentation? (Photo)

Is a dermal lip injectable better or should I go with a most natural temporary filler as hyaluronic acid (HA) such as Restylane.

I was wondering if the fat lipo from my flanks can be used for my lip augmentation?

Hi, I have performed many lip augmentations, over the past 30 years, using dermal fillers and various lip implants (now prefer Permalip).  From the photos, your lips are a bit thin and of approximately equal volume for bot the upper and lower lip.  Following the beauty principles outlined, in my book on face and body beauty, the upper lip should be no more than 75% the size of the lower lip to create the pleasing, lower lip pout.  

Lip augmentation can be performed on both your upper and lower lips but IMHO you should stick with things that provide relaible volume to the lips.  Despite the popularity, your own fat is not live, viable tissue once removed from your body and when injected into the lips (or face) has nowhere near the degree of reliability that a dermal filler or Permalip implant can provide.  

I wanted to point out that from the photo, your chin is quite weak.  This is relevant to how full the lips are perceived.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face appear shorter which de-emphasizes the shape and fullness of the lips.  Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found placing a silastic chin implant through a small, curved, incisions under the chin to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty that requires bone cuts with placement of screws and metal plates.

Hope this helps.

Hello Exoticeyecandie,

Fat transfer can be used for lip augmentation.  Frequently the area around the belly button is a better source since that is a natural scar, but your flanks can be used.  This process is a surgery so there are those costs included.  Fat transfer is better long term, but the results can be somewhat unpredictable with how much of the fat graft will take.  This means initially the lips would need to be over filled and then they would calm down with time.  If you have never had lip augmentation before, I'd recommend you try fillers first.  These can be reversed with the injection of an enzyme if you ended up not liking the result.  It can also be performed in the office so it is initially more affordable (but they do go away with time so the costs will add up).  I'd recommend you consult with a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon in your area to go over the pros and cons of both and determine which is the better option for you.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Fat Long Term, Use Cannulas and a Conservative approach

I do fat injections to the lips daily. I suggest you see a cosmetic surgeon with expertise and who uses PRP and gentle extraction of the fat with little manipulation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Yes!

Yes the fat from your flanks can be used for lip augmentation.  You will need to find a surgeon that knows how to do this. Fillers are not easily reversed.

Lip augmentation

Lip augmentation with fillers is not surgery and can be easily reversed. Fat transfers do require the removal of fat, and are more involved. The fat transferred may not be permanent, especially should you loose weight. If you never had had your lips augmented, I would suggest starting with fillers like Juvederm.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation and Fat

I would definitely not choose to do fat for the lips in terms of lip augmentation.  There are so many good hyaluronic acid fillers now to choose from that I would definitely prefer those.  Fat can have many more side effects plus the discomfort of having to have the fat procedure harvested.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your question and photographs. In genera due to the reversibility and non-permanent nature of dermal fillers this are preferentially used to augment the lips versus fat.  Fat does provide a more long-term solution but as it will be diet and exercise sensitive, it would be important to maintain your weight otherwise your lips will fluctuate in size.  Most of the common dermal lip injectables are hyaluronic acid based. Hope that this helps.

Lip Augmentation

I appreciate your concern, you have a very pretty face, so I would recommend conservative lip augmentation with Hyaluronic Acid, like Juvederm plus. Another option is fat transfer which is more permanent. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD