33 years old, 1 child. I am happy with my body but I know I can look better. What is the first step I should take? (Photo)

N need help. What are the prices. . I do work out when ever I can but I work nights so if am tried am not making it to the gym. I want to know how do I go about in improving the way my body looks. My 30s is so far my best years now. What can I do where can I go. Stepso and prices

Steps to improve your body

Thank you for your question.  It is nice to hear that you are already happy with your body, which is a very healthy attitude.  If you do want to consider a few procedures you could start with some preliminary reading online on forums like this to get a sense of the outcomes, then seeking a proper consultation with a local experienced surgeon.

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for the question and pictures. Generally speaking, pregnancy can take a toll on a women's body. In order to help reverse some of the effects of child bearing, many women choose to have a "mommy makeover". A mommy makeover can involve ANY of the areas affected by pregnancy:  most commonly a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) and breast augmentation and/or lift (mastopexy).  Other commonly requested surgical procedures include liposuction surgery and/or genitalia surgery.   

When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well.

In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.

***Ask to SEE lots of examples of their work AND preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.    

Working together (with your carefully selected plastic surgeon), you will come up with the best plan to achieve your goals. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to mommy makeover surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.  

Mommy Makeover - Am I A Candidate? Finding A Surgeon?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction of the hips and flanks. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

About the Mommy Makeover and the Ideal Candidate

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. 
Many procedures can be combined. Cosmetic procedures such as Brazilian Butt Lift (#BBL), Thigh Lift (#TL) and Mommy Makeover (#MMO), which usually concentrates on the breast and abdomen areas, may be combined together. However, I look at the risk factors such as surgery time greater than 6 hours, or #anesthesia time, increased risks of DVT, prolonged  #healing, #positioning after surgery to name a few, which are a lot to consider. These factors are relative to performing any variety of combinations. 

The suitability of your procedures and any specific risks may be determined during you #consultation. Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. All surgical #procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Also, another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations.

Dr. Derby Sang caputo

thank you for your question and your photos.

Tummy tuck combined with a lipo, step one would be contouring, mold your body figure. After that you could see how your feel about all the rest like a breast lift with or without implants, BBl, etc.. in case you already know what you want you could combine all procedures together. Prices vary depending on where you have your surgery done and with who. I suggest you to contact a Board certified PS and go over all your concerns.

Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

33 years old, 1 child. I am happy with my body but I know I can look better. What is the first step I should take?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  The first step in any contouring procedure is to reach your desired goal weight.  This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results.  Once stable at your weight than you can look into addressing the areas that are most concerning too you with either liposuction to reduce areas of diet-resistant fat, such as your waist and back or a more formal tummy tuck procedure.  Hope this helps.

Body contouring procedures

There are many choices when it comes to body contouring.  Some are surgical and some are non surgical.  Cost, down time, scars, expectations and the surgeon's experience all figure in to the final decision.  Please see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in body contouring procedures to assure the best possible outcome.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

First step to take

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.  See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a consult.

Start with the basics

When deciding on plastic surgery, the first thing that should be decided is what changes you'd like to see in your body.  Some procedures are commonly done in one trip to the operating room.  Often women who have had children like the combination of procedures referred to as the Mommy Makeover which addresses the breasts, abdomen and thighs.  Try to understand what you'd like to change and then schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  At the appointment you can create a surgical plan with your doctor that will help you reach your goals.  

Camille Cash, MD

The First Step!

Thank you for your question!  The decision to have cosmetic surgery is a uniquely personal one. Usually, you have been considering doing ‘something’ for quite awhile.  You may be unhappy with some aspect of your appearance, have recently had children and wish to regain your pre-pregnancy body, or you may have lost a significant amount of weight, or are just ready to realize your best self! Whatever your motivation, educating yourself with the best possible information, speaking with others who may have already undergone the procedure you’re considering, and becoming a wise consumer of the plethora of information available becomes a journey.

I believe the best patient is an educated patient, who knows which questions to ask when they come in for their consultation and understands what a particular procedure can and cannot do. My job becomes much easier if some of the groundwork so to speak has already been laid, allowing us to spend more time discussing the finer points of the procedure and your goals and expectations in the context of the procedure. 

Having realistic expectations should be your primary goal when seeking a consultation with a plastic surgeon. The more you understand about a particular procedure or treatment, including what it can and cannot do, the more likely you are to be happy with the result.  Consult with several different plastic surgeons before making your final decision. Always ask about the potential risks and complications associated with a procedure, the expected recovery and when the results will be complete? Ask how long will the results last; what will and won’t be affected; will follow up treatments be necessary? How much it would cost for a touch-up treatment or modification? Remember, if you’re hearing the same information from more than one plastic surgeon, the information is more likely to be correct.

Your surgeon should be able to create a safe, comfortable experience for you while creating realistic expectations regarding what will happen both before and after the surgery including discussing any risks and complications.  He or she should also discusses aspects of the surgery that can affect your daily life, such as financing options, expected recovery, and how to prepare for your surgical procedure. 

Finding the right surgeon begins with looking for certification from reputable boards. The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) oversees the training of American plastic surgeons. When your surgeon says that he or she is ‘Board Certified’ it doesn’t necessarily mean ABPS certified, so be sure to check. Any physician (from any specialty) can call themselves a cosmetic surgeon! Just because a surgeon claims to be ‘Board Certified’ doesn’t necessarily mean they have completed the appropriate training in plastic surgery, or that they have experience performing delicate, complex plastic surgery procedures. The ABPS is the only board out of 24 approved by the American Board of Medical Specialties to certify physicians in both facial and body plastic surgery.  

The decision to have cosmetic surgery is a decision to feel better about yourself.  Everyone is unique and will have their reasons for seeking treatments.  Your plastic surgeon will be able to help you understand which procedures may benefit you most, and the costs associated with those procedures.

Warmest regards,

Dr. John L. Clayton

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon