Will the gap between them decrease after they settle? (Photo)

I am 5 days post op and my boobs seem to have a big gap between them almost 4 fingers apart... Will the gap between my breasts decrease after they settle?

Settling will not decrease the distance between the mounds

but at this point, you just have to focus on healing and to follow your surgeon's instructions to try to get the best results possible.  As you heal, you should let your surgeon know of what concerns you have, such as this one.  When your healed, you should have the ability to critique your results and if good, wonderful.  And if not, then what options are available to you to help give you the result you wanted.

Breast A

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Gap between breasts after augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo.  The breast has a foot print on the chest wall, where the breast is physically connected to the chest.  Some women have a wider foot print and some women have one that is more narrow.  The implant needs to be centered under the nipple and often it is not possible to narrow the cleavage between the breasts significantly.  Your distance will generally not get smaller over time.  This is the natural gap between your breasts.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. Its too early to talk about results.In my practice, after performing a BA+BL I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. Respectfully

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Gap between breasts

It's hard to know what your gap will eventually look like once everything settles without being able to see what it looked like before surgery as that is the best predictor of what it will look like after surgery.  Most patients don't like a wide gap between their breasts but not everyone will be able to achieve a certain shape that they consider "ideal".  The size of the gap is essentially predetermined by your pectoralis major muscle attachment position on your sternum as well as the glandular tissue and breast skin envelope shape. Sometimes the muscles are close together over the sternum, sometimes they are splayed apart.  So in placing your implants under the muscle, wherever the muscles stop we have to stop.  You cannot detach and release too much of the muscle to try to get your implants to sit closer together as this would cause your muscle to retract upwards and you would lose the benefit of the coverage of the implant by the muscle.  Also if you release too much of the muscle over the sternum, you can risk getting a "uniboob" (that would not look good).  Also, the implants have to be more or less placed behind your native breast mound and nipple/ areola, so if they are situated more laterally to begin with, your implants have to be situated behind them.  So bottom line is the gap between your breasts are pretty much predetermined, and your surgeon can usually let you know ahead of time after examining you where you can expect that gap to be so you have the right expectations going into it.  The gap usually does not change too much right after surgery but your breast shape (including it's final cleavage and upper pole fullness) certainly does so you have to wait for them to settle to see the final shape.  Best wishes.

The gap before will have an impact on how much after surgery

It is too early to tell what the gap will be post op. If you had a large gap before surgery it may still be large after surgery unless you identified this concern pre operativly. Every doctor dissects medially to the extent that they feel is safe because the vessels are there. Some doctors go more medial than others so looking at the before and after photos of the doctor will help you to know how close to midline your doctor typically dissects. However the MOST important factor is your own anatomy. As time goes on the implants will likely settle close to where your natural crease is located. The surgeon can impact this position slightly.  In order to try and keep the breasts medially, wear a bra with a cup around the clock and stuff it laterally to keep the breast medially as the surgical site heals down around the implants.

Good luck!

Kimberley Lloyd O'Sullivan, MD
Pawtucket Plastic Surgeon

Gap after implants

Your anatomy will dictate the gap in your cleavage area.  Best to give it time to heal at this point..

Will the gap between them decrease after they settle?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your breast augmentation.  Gapping after surgery is largely determined by your chest muscle's attachment and width of your breast bone, and a before picture would better demonstrate what long-term outcome you can expect.  Based on your picture alone the swelling of your tissues is maintaining your implant high and tight, which will need time to stretch the overlying tissues to settle into a more natural appearance.  Allow your results time to mature and you should see steady improvement. 

Wide gap after BA

I would expect the gap to decrease as the swelling resolves and skin stretches. There important issue to remember is: nipple position. You want your nipple to be on the center of the implant. If you move the implant closer to the cleavage, your nipple will begin to point out. This outward facing nipple is a much bigger problem than wide cleavage. 

If you still are unhappy with a wide cleavage gap, fat grafting is an excellent solution to increase volume in this area without distorting the nipple position. Best of luck!

Will the gap between them decrease after the breast implants settle?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. Keep in mind that no one will replace your own plastic surgeon when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and meaningful reassurance.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result.  Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Patients often report that they are happier with the cleavage area once these changes occur also. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.