Fat transfer inquiry. How does the fat survive?

Looking for a Dr experienced in facial fat transfer. only need a little where i would use filler ( im allergic to derma fillers so fat my only option) seen a few Drs who freeze the fat and reinject in a few sessions, i like the idea of this but how does the fat survive? If cool sculpting melts fat how will freezing fat save it? told you need a license to freeze fat. How do i find out if the Dr has the official license? I have also seen a few Drs that say frrezing fat is a bad idea. Help :)
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Fat Transfer Results, Are They Permanent?

Fat can be stored at appropriate temperature without damaging it.  I suggest seeing an expert in fat transferring who uses the purest extraction and PRP.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fat Transfer

Fat injection is more popular now than ever in the past.  Just to dispel some misconceptions you have, frozen fat will not survive, it does not work.  Cool Sculpting does not work, none of the papers they show you are valid peer review articles showing scientific and analytic benefit.  If it did we all could just go sit in a walk in freezer for a couple of hours a month.  There are however different methods to process the fat. I use the Coleman centrifuge system.  Many people use either a strainer or filter system and report excellent results also.  When injecting into the face it should be fresh, and injected in small quantities (small cannulas) at a time for better survival.  There is no special "license" for fat injection.  Your best bet is to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.  The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, surgery.org, is your best source for finding someone proficient in fat transfer to the face.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Fa transfer

Coolsculpting and freezing fat in freezer are two different things.  Fat transfer is best when done with freshly harvested fat however studies show that frozen fat are viable as well.  There are so may other variables that contribute in viability of the fat which are surgeon dependant.  I would look for how many years of experience in doing the procedure (hopefully over 10 years) and if it is the main procedure of the practice.  I would want to know medical school and board cerifications and fellowships specific in cosmetic surgery.  Aviod gimmick procedures and procedures that have "lasers" and "ultrasound" in conjunction that make it "sound" good when used in conjuction with lipo and fat transfer.   

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Fat for injection

In order for the fat to survive the fat cells have to be intact and vialble or they will not survive.I only use fresh fat and do not freeze it.I just think it is better.On the face about 60 to 70% should survive.The less you do to the fat the greater the chances are that it will survive.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon