What is the best choice for improving cheek and chin volume? Implants, fat grafting, or injectable? (photos)

I am 35 and looking to enhance my cheeks and chin. I had Radiesse injected in both cheeks and in my chin and loved the look (1cc per cheek and 0.5 chin). But two years later, my cheeks have deflated back to normal. Can you tell me which way will provide a more permanent, natural look that will improve the proportions of my face between traditional implants and the newer fat-grafting? Or are neither of these preferable, and should I just stick to getting the injectables every couple years?

Fat for me

Fat grafting is the ideal filler technique for me.It is natural and the longest lasting of the filler products. 

Sculptra also works well for 2-3 years and is less 'surgical' if that might be what you prefer. 

Hope that helps. 

Adam Goodwin

Chin/Cheek Augmentation -- Fillers such as Radiesse, Voluma, Perlane; Fat; Implants; Sculptra

For men you need an expert injector.  Fat, fillers, implants and sculptra can all be used.  you need a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Implants, fat grafting or fillers for cheek and chin volume?

I would say the most permanent change you could achieve with the most amount of augmentation to the chin and cheeks would be with implants.  Fillers can work as well, as you have seen with the Radiesse that you have had.  Fat grafting could help as well, but I think implants or fillers can give more predictable results.  If you did decide to have implants, I would recommend submalar implants for your face and an implant for the chin.  Your other option would be to try and use a longer lasting filler, such as Voluma, Sculptra or Bellafill.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek implants and a Chin implant

Cheek implants are placed for patients who have a flat maxilla and the flat cheek profile and offer an augmentation to the midface area.  Chin implants are placed to augment the chin forward and also give lateral width.  Chin implants are placed for patients with a weak and  recessive chin profile to help with facial balance and portions.  Both chin and cheek implants are composed of Silastic and are usually placed under either local or general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure.  Both cheek and chin implants are manufactured in large array of sizes and shapes which is best determined at time of the consultation and examination.  In our practice we use Implantech brand of chin and cheek implants for the last 25 years with an excellent success rate.  For more information, diagrams of the implants and many before and after results of both chin and cheek implants, please see the video and the link below 

Best choice for improving cheek and chin volume? Implants, fat grafting, or injectable?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures over the past 30 years, using dermal fillers and/or facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants).  Fat transfer or injections are far less reliable at providing consistent volume and shaping than an "off the shelf" dermal filler or facial implants that provide consistent, permanent enhancement.  For that reason, I do not use fat  for facial shaping.   Based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles.  This combines to create an elongated oval shaped face.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.
  • Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.