After meeting with a bad board certified Doctor who only wanted my money, how do I know I can trust anyone now? (photos)

Hello, I've been thinking of getting a rhinoplasty for some time now. I want a smaller more feminine nose. My biggest issue is my profile, somedays I'm fine with the front but I'm not happy with my big round tip. I've read tons of reviews, a lot of people say if your nose isn't badly misshapen then you shouldn't bother. But indeed I hate taking pictures especially any candids, I just want a normal life where I'm not worried about how my nose looks. Any advice?

Dear lushkat, I would suggest starting the consultation process over again. I tell patients since you are on realself now this is a great place to start your search for a rhinoplasty specialist. Find some expert surgeons and read their reviews if a large portion of their reviews are regarding rhinoplasty surgery then the surgeon likely denotes a large portion of their practice to this speciality. Read the patient reviews carefully and see what the patients say about the surgeon and their office staff so when you walk in you have your expectations met. Once you have narrowed down some expert rhinoplasty surgeons then set some consultation appointments. During the consultation digital imaging may be available where the surgeon can show you the proposed result. Then review the surgeons before and after photographs especially noses similar to your own so you can ensure the surgeon provides natural looking rhinoplasty results. In my practice I also I show patients before and after photographs as well as the patients imaging photograph to show them how close in proximity these results are. Once you have determined the desired nose then the surgeon will discuss at length the techniques that will be used to attain your desired nose. After these steps you should be very informed and you will find a surgeon and office staff that you feel comfortable with and then you can make an informed decision. To see an example of the imaging process for rhinoplasty see the video above and link below to see how rewarding this procedure can be. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

I Met a "Bad" Board Certified Sugeon During Rhinoplasty Consultation

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but listen to your instincts. This is not typical but your sixth sense will be beneficial when you consult with other rhinoplasty specialists.

Rhinoplasty candidate

Performing a rhinoplasty is a major decision, so it's important to visit at least three surgeons in your local area to have extensive experience with the procedure. Rhinoplasty is also on the most difficult procedure to perform correctly in the entire field of cosmetic surgery, so choose your surgeon very wisely. A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, refining and narrowing the tip, and preventing the tip from drooping when smiling by releasing the depressor septi ligament. In all of the model photographs presented, the chins have significant projection, so consider a chin implant as well as the rhinoplasty procedure to help with the side profile.  Performing  a chin implant will help with facial balance and proportions, especially with respect to the only projecting nose. 

Choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon

Choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon can be a daunting and frightening task. First, remember that your surgeon should consider him/herself fortunate if you select them. There are a lot of good very qualified rhinoplasty surgeons but you are in the driver's seat. Second, you should like their results. Check out their website and see if your situation seems to match the kind of results they get.  Lastly, meet with as many docs as necessary until you feel comfortable with the surgeon's style and recommendations. Good communication is the key to getting great results. Good luck.

Rhinoplasty decisions

Rhinoplasty will certainly be able to reshape and create more definition to the tip of your nose.  The decision to undergo rhinoplasty is a strictly personal one, as only you can weigh the pros and cons of the recovery and financial aspects relative to how much the nasal appearance bothers you.

Donald B. Yoo, MD