Can you wear compression garment too much?

I wear my secondary compression almost all the time, sometimes I sleep in it! I thought it would help me heal and keep swelling down, but my muscles feel tired and weak when I don't have it on. I'm 6 weeks post op tummy tuck and breast reduction! Should I wear it less to allow my muscles to get stronger?

Dr Derby

You can wear as much as you want the garment after surgery. It helps a lot against the swelling and you can also wear it at night. Best of luck

Tummy tuck and breast reduction - can it be worn too much?

Thank you for asking about your mommymake-over.
  • An excellent question.
  • It is true that external support can make our muscles weaker because they don't work so hard.
  • But it is also true that some people swell a lot and need to wear the garment longer than 6 weeks.
  • Try not wearing it at night.
  • And try wearing but also starting back on exercise, so you get the support but regain your fitness.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Compression garment

The extra pressure this garment provides helps reduce swelling and discomfort. You should not remove this garment at all until the second or third day after surgery. After that, feel free to remove the garment temporarily for laundering. We want you to have circumferential pressure for 4-6 weeks, but you may switch to an exercise garment (Lycra or Spandex) whenever it feels comfortable to slip it on or off, as you will have to do so in order to go to the bathroom or shower. See the below link for more useful information

Can you wear too much compression?

NO! The longer you wear your compression the better your result will be. The compression is like your cast so it's natural for you to feel awkward or uncomfortable without it on. You can even wear it while at the gym. Keep in mind though that you can wear a Spanx garment with a fair amount of compression and it may be more fitting getting into the summer months. 

Thank you for your question and happy healing!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Post-Op Mommy Makeover Healing

For post-op healing you can wear the garment as much as it makes you feel comfortable with the swelling and pain that comes during this period. If there is anything that scares you about how you are feeling or needing to wear the garment, I could only suggest contacting your surgeon directly. 

Garment

While my patients are typically glad to be out of their garments by 3-4 weeks (get hot here in Miami), some actually prefer to continue wearing them which is perfectly fine. Many wear tight body shaping garments as a baseline all the time anyway.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Mommy Makeover/Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Liposuction/Tummy Tuck/ Brazilian Butt Lift/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for their patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are currently healing.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Compression garment

This depends on your surgeons post op protocol. 6-8 weeks of wearing a compression garment is very typical and he or she may want you to wear it more depending on what he or she did for you. Best to check in with your operating surgeons office. Good luck!