Are dead fat cells heavier?

Are dead fat cells heavier than live ones? I have put on 2lbs and day 30 after treatment today. 4 small abdomen applications. Thanks

Coolsculpting

Hi,

Dead fat cells are not heavier. Cool sculpting doesn't usually result in weight changes.  

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Are dead fat cells heavier?

Thank you for your question. No, dead fat cells are not heavier. Perhaps you can try evaluating any changes in your lifestyle. If you are concerned, speak to your chosen provider. All the best. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Are dead fat cells heavier

Thanks for your question.  The short answer is no, dead fat cells are not heavier than living fat cells.  Assuming that you maintain a constant diet and level of exercise, you should not see any change in your weight before and after coolsculpting.  I find that many patients are a little more heath conscious around the time of their coolsculpting and may even lose 1 or 2 pounds because they have been making an effort to eat healthier or exercise a little more.  Everyone has normal fluctuations in weight.  2 pounds is not significant, but if you are concerned I would recommend seeing your doctor to further discuss options.  Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Coolsculpting and Results versus Hi Definition Liposuction

Cool sculpting improves the fat but 20% per treatment, and often requires multiple applicators to be used to get contouring and a few treatments. You could have pain and swelling with bruising that can last a few weeks. Your increase in weight is not due to dead fat cells. I would evaluate any change in lifestyle or time of day you choose to weigh yourself.  If you are unhappy with your results consider a vaser hi definition procedure which gives much more contouring and shaping. I suggest a formal consultation with an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

CoolSculpting and dead fat cells

Interesting question and honestly not one that I have ever given much thought too. Probably dead cells are lighter than alive cells but I am certain that it is not the dead fat cells that is accounting for your 2 lbs increase in weight. 

It is important to remember that CoolSculpting is a body contouring procedure and not a weight loss procedure. 

I'm sure you will have great results. CoolSculpting is a very popular procedure in our practice. Safe, effective, and reproducible results.