Asymmetrical Eyelids, How Soon is Too Soon to Determine? (photo)

Had upper bleph and neck lift on Jun 12. Upper eyelid was done as a correction to a previous similar surgery (2009) where one eye ended up too low. However, now it is more obvious than ever. My PS says is too soon to tell but I know that based on my previous experience...this is it and the sooner we fix it the better. Did I waste my money and instead worsened my look instead of improve it? Should I wait? See pic

Assymetry post bleph

I would give it more time.It looks like your right brow is a little lower.this is easy to cerrect but I would wait till all the swelling is down.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Much too early to evaluate results of lower blepharoplasty.

The photograph demonstrates a sizable amount of postoperative swelling. It is virtually impossible to make any sort of pronouncement about what to expect from the operation.

Allow for Complete Healing

Thank you for your photos.  It is way too early in the recovery process to address the lower eyelid. You have to allow for resolution of the swelling and complete healing over the next 3 months.

Dr. ES

You are still healing from Eyelid Surgery

I believe that you need to wait some time and let things settle and heal before you plan on any more surgery. Three times is not a charm in surgery so give it some time. I know that since you have had a previous bad experience this may be trying on you however have confidence in your surgeon see him/her often to help give you some peace of mind during this healing period. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Need more time to judge the result of your surgery

You are very early after your last surgical procedure and you need time to let things settle down.  The worst thing that you would want to do is rush back to the operating room. 

Way too early to even thinking about

Agree that you look asymmetric.  Your before and after pictures are profoundly different.  Was the before picture immediately prior to surgery or is this picture from years ago?  It is essential to recognize that you are only two weeks out from eyelid surgery.  It is totally normal to be bruised and swollen at this point.  As swelling dissipated the lids are likely to look better.  I do agree that there is cause for concern.  What troubles me is that general plastic surgoens often do not address upper eyelid ptosis or even levator weakness (most lack a working knowledge of the detailed eyelid anatomy and don't perform surgery with the patient awake which is a necessity to assess the effects of surgery intraoperatively).  What I can tell you is that you should not talk this surgeon into returning you to the operating room to "tuck" the lid.  Quick fixes in this situation are a mistake.  Please be patient and let the lid heal for at least two more months.  If the ptosis persists, then it is highly likely you will need the ptosis addressed.  Ptosis can be make worse by upper eyelid surgery.  The supporting tendon can easily be cut, torn or simply stretched by surgery.  Most surgical consents anticipate this possibility by stating that you might have a change in eyelid position or symmetry and or benefit from revisional surgery in the future.  That language is talking about this type of situation if it persists.  If this is the outcome, I will tell you that your currently surgeon is most likely not the individual who should make the repair.  This is best left to an oculoplastic surgeon who specializes in fixing prior eyelid surgery.  In Florida, the names Dr. Mike Patipa and Dr. William Mack come to mind but there are others as well.

Asymmetrical eyelids.

I think you need to wait as it is too early to determine if your surgery has corrected the problem.  At this stage you will have a fair amount of swelling. I usually recommend waiting about 3-6 months for all the swelling to determine the final result.

Stephen Salerno

Eyelid surgery healing

You have to be patient with the healing and discuss with your surgeon. Redness, swelling, bruising will all resolve. You do have upper eyelid asymmetry (with left upper eyelid ptosis) which might be related to some extent to the swelling present. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon